Do You Use Free Items Only During The Free Trial?

Discussion in Freebies and Giveaways started by Deeishere • Apr 12, 2016.

1. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    Do you get free samples from companies that offer a free trial and then will charge you if you don’t cancel? I had a friend that would only use the item for the exact period of free time and then cancel and return the product. I know some companies will offer you a free item to try their product. You still may have to give your credit information, but you can cancel anytime. I wanted to try these healthy snacks from this company. They offer the first set of snacks for only a $1. If I don’t cancel they will charge my credit card for $11.99 per month. I just prefer to try items for free without giving my credit card information.

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'll definitely take advantage of items or services that are free trials. Especially if this is something that I'd be interested in using for the long term. However I won't get or take part in trials if I'm not interested in using the product or service in the long term because if I forget to cancel and didn't even use the product or service during the trial I'd be more annoyed than if it was something I'd genuinely use anyway. I bought the Spotify 3 month trial for £0.99 a few months back and have continued with the service regardless of cost since then.

3. Jitters

JittersNew Member

Threads:
    Too many times I have started a free trial with the intention of quitting but then wanted to keep it.
    This is exactly what they want silly people like me to do :p
    I no longer sign up for free periods.

4. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I usually cancel unless the item is ridiculously awesome. To be honest it is never really a free sample. If you are forgetful like me this does not work bcause you will always forget to cancel and end up being charged. I do not sign up for free periods anymore either.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In developing countries like where I'm from, you can hardly find free trials. The closest thing we have to free trials are those supermarket free taste samples offered at manufacturer-sponsored booths. There are a lot of free trials online but because they ask for your credit card number, you start being skeptical. If it's free, why ask for credit card details? For all you know, it's actually a scam.

6. Charlotte Martin

Charlotte MartinNew Member

Threads:
    I feel like I always forget to cancel in time and that is exactly what they want. I usually have to end up paying for at least one month before I remember to cancel.

7. kdb890

kdb890New Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of a company letting you try something for a select amount of time and then taking the product away. However, I do know that subscription boxes will allow you to try their snacks and stuff for free. This is what I did with Graze. I got my first box free and then cancelled my membership.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose it would not be wise to give your credit card number when you sign up for a free trial unless you are sure that they are offerring a bargain. I prefer on the spot purchases after I have done a free trial and then buy the items that I would need on the basis of need at my pace.

9. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Thankfully, we don't get any of that because some of us have very busy schedules that keeping up with something that's not a priority would eventually land us in trouble. Uniformed men and women would sometimes roam around the streets to give away samples of shampoos, laundry detergents and sometimes food. They'd either just hand you a single product to try out for free or offer a bundle at an introductory price. I'd sometimes take advantage of this to save myself a trip from the grocery store.

10. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    Oh, I sign up for the free trials all the time and I'm pretty good about cancelling on time, so I won't get charged. Now, there have been a few exceptions where I thought the product and the deal was out of this world and decided to sign up. I really wished that they wouldn't take your credit card info, but that's how these companies are able to reel people in, and they're banking on that you'll love the product or that you'll forget when your free trial expires.

11. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I am leery of any company asking for my credit card information when they are offering something for "free." I usually do not participate in such offers, because I have heard of some fraudulent offers that ended up being scams to get people's credit card information.

That being said, I have signed up for free trial samples of different from companies offering a new product, with no credit card required. Some of the products I liked so much, that I continued to purchase them in store. This is more likely the case when the company includes coupons with their free samples. I am more likely to purchase new products if a coupon is offered with the free sample.

12. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I'm very easily sold on things, so I end up keeping the service after the free trial has expired. I think you may be referring to graze.com with the snacks in the original post - I signed up for graze as a discounted trial as well, and never bothered to cancel it. Now my credit card gets charged at erratic time periods and every once in a while I get some delicious snacks dropped off at my door. I could probably save the money and get rid of the trial, but I do love those snacks!

Last time I actually managed to cancel the trial before the payments kicked in was LinkedIn premium. I just wasn't getting that much use out of it and it seemed a bit steep at $29.95 a month for very few functionalities. I did make sure it was easy to cancel online before I signed up - I know how some companies spring it on you after the fact that you can only cancel over the phone during certain hours.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate when they do that though, you know, when they take your card details so that when the trial period lapses it makes it easy for them to kick you straight into the full fledged subscription? I think they bank on people forgetting and not realising until it's too late. Then make it awkward to get a refund and/or cancel. So, I usually steer clear of those altogether because it happened to me twice, when in fact I only did it for the initial freebies. The last time I did it was for the Kindle Unlimited service, and I made sure to make a note on my calendar. I then cancelled it a day earlier, only to go back and do it properly LOL But at least it was on MY terms :)

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the KIndle Unlimited subscription now, which is free for me until June 7. The only thing about those trials is that you always have to remember to cancel them to avoid a nasty charge on your card. At the time when I signed up, I wanted one particular book so much, I didn't even care if they were going to charge me, but now that I have read it, I do!

15. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I am like you in that I don't want to get something that I won't use. It would be a waste of time and money if I am charged for it. I also tried Spotify. It was free for 30 days and I really loved it! I have it now on my devices. I also tried Blue mountain cards. I love their cards because they have a nice variety of interactive cards. Once the freebie was over, I continued with their service.

16. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I do understand. What I do if I decide to try a trial, is to save the date I suppose to cancel in my e-mail. When I save it in my e-mail, I am looking at it every day so I won't forget. I will normally set it for days early, and not the day of to make sure I don't have any problems with the cancel. I love to see how a product or service will work, but don't want to have to pay anything if I decide not to use it.

17. NickJonathan98

NickJonathan98Member

Threads:
    Hello. You should almost never be worried about your credit card information since it's almost never stored on the companies' servers. The company you want to order from is most likely using a payment processor such as PayPal, Stripe, Skrill, 2checkout or some other.

Those are reputable payment processing companies that handle discretely all your credit card information which is encrypted with state-of-the-art encryption which renders useless any attempt of trying to decrypt and gain access to your credit card information.

It would take ten times more than the age of Earth to decrypt that kind of information with that kind of encryption and state-of-the-art computers. An the Earth's age is just 4.56 billion years. So, you get the picture.

18. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I would also take advantage of goods or services that are offered as free trials. If I like it enough and the price convinces I would end up paying for it.
    I'm not usually worried about giving out credit card info for them, since They don't store it on the companies' server. I always use paypal to handle this kind of transactions. And encryption is like an unassailable bulkwark.

19. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    Every now and then I will take advantage of free trials. But, I always make it a point to cancel before my credit/debit card is charged. If you don't do that early it can be a nightmare getting a refund.

20. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    I am like you in that if I don't know the company, I won't give my cc information. These days the scammers can make their site look so professional. I think about all the e-mails I get from these crooks claiming they are my bank or other financial institution and are informing me that my account is going to close. I wonder how many people fall for this. Now when it is a company that I know and I am constantly using their free stuff and love it, I will eventually purchase after using the free time. I did this with companies like Spotify, Pandora, and Blue Mountain.