Online Work is not easy

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Lady350 • Aug 19, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I always have to look deeper. There are so many scams out there, and with all of the online work that I do daily already, If I am going to add another venture to my daily earning life, it has to be worth it, hence the deeper research that I do lol.

@Sealpikachu@Sealpikachu, I am not surprised at this point. Thank you for your input. How long did it take you to complete their application process?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, some of them are not that difficult, but then again, you don't make much money. That is the real problem with online work as I see it. It is convenient and enjoyable to work at home, but most people can;t find a way to live on it, unless they are working what amounts to a regular job.

3. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass , it took no time at all! It was probably at most 20 minutes or so, however, I felt the test was slightly biased. I'm not saying this because I didn't pass, I say it because I currently work for other transcriptiom sites who supposedly have higher standards and it was just fine with them. If you want to do transcription, I'd look in other places. There are lots of other options though, I'd br happy to help!

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @sealpikachu....oh ok, I didn't read anything about a tests! Well, thanks for that; it really takes off what little spark I had of the site LOL That's why it's great to have discussion forums such as this one, because people here are always a lot more honest than any reviews you'll find in the www.

5. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Yes! They need to have tests to evaluate whether a person is a good fit or not. Some places you take them after being approved (such as upwork) to find jobs that "fit" you but others require for you to do so before they tell you if you can work with them. I personally prefer to be tested first since then I won't lose my time waiting for jobs once I start.

6. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    There are some decent jobs you can get online, but sometimes those are hard to get. If you can land 3 or 4 decent jobs to work throughout the day it is possible to earn at least s much as you would earn making minimum wage outside your home.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    When I read up about the application process, some were saying that it was a bit complicated, which I translated to mean long and arduous, so I am a bit shocked to hear that it is pretty short. In what way would you say the test was biased? And do you work for transcribe me? If so, is it worth the time that you put in for the money, or are they scammers?

8. Escad

EscadNew Member

Threads:
    agree, but that makes online job is special. You can look for the new angle. Since online job is extremely wide, you can become blogger, developer and everything you want to support your skill. You need to learn more about what you are going to do, just believe and then do it.

9. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thank you or that information. I have never heard of Casting Word before. Another transcription site, I am sure. Can you give me a little bit more information on it? Like what is their cashout limit, and how much they pay per audio minute and such. How long does it usually take you to reach cashout with them?

Well if other transcription sites have approved you and they did not, then that implies that there is something wrong with their tests and or standards, which again is ridiculous since they payout peanuts for the work that they expect you to do.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    I guess you've got a point there. Better to find out whether or not you have the right skills before spending all the time and energy doing stuff that may be rejected and not get paid for your effort! Nothing hurts as much as doing all the work only to be told thanks, but no thanks.

12. Lushlala

Threads:
    I've
    I first heard about CastingWords sometime last year, but never had the spare time to take the test. I've always been interested in transcription work but could never drum up enough courage to register and take the test for fear of failing LOL I've heard CastingWords is one of the better paying ones, although I don't know much more than that.
    Right now I'm doing offline transcription work so as to gain experience before I delve into it online. One of the first sites I'll be trying is definitely CastingWords. But my, I didn't realise how hard and tedious it could be! But as long as it's good money, I'll do it :)

13. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    It isn't easy, but many things in life aren't. I would recommend that you try many different types of work opportunities. You can start a blog, do some marketing, write for websites, sell things online, teach online, transcribe, data entry. I think the key with online work is finding an niche and going with that, but also adding other little jobs like taking surveys, watching videos and getting paid to play games. When you don't put all your eggs in one basket, you create a safety net for yourself and also increase your earning potential. Now, of course, I never said anything was going to be easy at all and when you're working for something....it never is!

14. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Sure! Casting words has no minimal cash out limit so it makes it a wonderful option even for a couple of dollars. Average pay is around 2 dollars for 8 minutes of audio which sounds terrible but it's so easy you won't notice it. They have a very user friendly approach so p, out of all transcription sites I use, they are my favorite by far. You win more once you are qualified to become an editor too so it really only gets better.

15. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    Exactly! I applied to dozens of sites and, frustratingly enough, most of them still have no jobs available for me. I quickly realized those that required prescreening worked best. Obviously, there are still some days where no jobs appear but they are rare.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, it can be incredibly tedious. If the payouts were to come quicker, it would be more motivation. They would not even necessarily have to pay more - just quicker, and I think people would be less exasperated. Every transcription site is different though.

@Sealpikachu@Sealpikachu , I think I am going to sign up with Casting Word. Thank you for the information. I am looking forward to the extra income. So two dollars for about eight audio minutes, but those eight audio minutes take about thirty minutes to transcribe right?

17. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Indeed online work is not easy, it can be hard to make money. Besides the fact that the money earned is minimal, I've noticed that my fingers hurt from all the typing and I'm starting to get upper back pain from sitting in front of a computer all day. I've had trouble finding a steady job so sometimes even though I'm in pain, I have to be on my computer or I'm not earning anything.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Not many people seem to talk about the tole that working online can take on your body. I bet many online workers suffer from circulation, and posture issues, just the same as people who work a nine to five in an office chair in front of a computer all day. They advise getting up and doing some light exercise every thirty minutes to combat health issues that come with working online. But we don't get paid nearly enough to sit here all day at a computer, as far as the potential health issues that could come along with it.

19. Lushlala

Threads:

Yes, same here @DreekLass@DreekLass.....I much prefer a lower cash out threshold, and prompt payment. It also has to add up reasonably fast, too.

On the transcription thing, I'm currently doing some offline transcription because I thought it would give me some much needed practice if I'm to try my hand at online transcription. My, it's a lot of hard work! -and you're right; the transcription takes a lot longer than the actual duration of an audio clip! So yea, I'd say 8 minutes would translate to about 30 minutes! Maybe over time we'll work up a better speed. It's also rather tedious and requires a lot of focus and concentration.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Are you folowing any sort of style guidelines with your offline transcription practice? I have heard that a lot of these online ones have specific formatting styles and such, which would make it difficult to practice for. Maybe try to find out which sites you are looking to work for, and find out which format style they are using.