Pet Smart Overpriced

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Dame6089 • May 24, 2016.

1. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Just wonder if anybody else has noticed how crazily overpriced Pet Smart is. I recently got a puppy and began taking training classes at Pet Smart. During the class, they teacher handed out a bunch of coupons for other items in the store. This seemed great as some of the coupons were for items that I regularly buy.

But recently I realized that they overcharge for items by nearly double of what they cost other places. For example, my puppy loves nyla bone chews, which run around $12 in Pet Smart. On Amazon, they are a little over $6. That is insane to me. Amazon will always be cheaper than stores, but half off? To me it seems to be more of an issue of Pet Smart being too expensive than Amazon being really cheap. This tends to be the case with other common items such as food and toys. The convenience of not waiting for things to come in the mail is not worth the prices they are charging!

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on what you are buying. SOme of the food is very reasonably priced. ALso, discounts on toys make them pretty affordable. I think Pets Smart helps to support various animal charities which might be the reason that some of their items are high priced. I don't shop their often so I can't really compare their prices..but in general, I would say they are higher on most things.

3. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people pay for the luxury of being their pets shopping with them. I go with my MIL and she spends about $150 just for dry and can food.

4. juulicob

juulicobNew Member

Threads:
    I've noticed the outrageous prices there too. I figured it was the only place to buy certain items when I got my first dog 8 years ago but then just started shopping online instead. It's insane how much they charge toys, especially! Sure it's good to get assistance and help (assuming most of the employees actually have knowledge to share, which in my previous experience they haven't). The only real perks are the discounts and coupons that appear once in awhile. My sister buys her huge dogs their food there and definitely overspend.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to think they were overpriced, so I didn't shop there for pet food and litter. I would mainly go there for supplies for my aquariums, and also for fish. I tend to prefer the fish and supplies at PetSmart to those at Petco, which has less of a selection. While shopping there over the years, I was surprised to find that their pet food prices are often the same, or sometimes lower than those I've found at other stores. They're usually lower than standard grocery stores, which are sometimes higher than mass merchandisers such as Walmart Supercenter.

I was purchasing most of my litter and cat food at Walmart, but I've been mentioning the price difference when I fill out the grocery store surveys, and have seen more specials and discounts on those items lately, so I will sometimes buy those items at Kroger, although the prices are still better at Petsmart. To me, litter is the big difference, with Kroger often charging $3 extra per jug of litter, which to me is outrageous.

I do tend to buy other pet items online, because it seems those prices are always lower, even when shipping is taken into account. I will often put off buying those types of items (aquarium heaters, filters, litter boxes, pet toys and supplements, etc.) until I'll be spending enough to qualify for free shipping, so I save even more.

6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that Petsmart is over priced. It is a good store in which to walk around and get ideas for your pet. Then go home surf the internet for better prices. (thank you online shopping)

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with the original post. Not very impressed with these store at all. If I need something for a pet, I'd go to Wal-Mart. They are much cheaper. The selection isn't quite as big, but there's still plenty to choose from and the prices are much more reasonable than Pet Smart. Only reason I'd go to Pet Smart is to get a more higher quality item if I want to spoil my pet.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pet shops in general are incredibly expensive. Pet Smart is, but others as well. To have an idea, a baby blanket is cheaper than a blanket for a pet!!!

I like pet shops and most things for my dog I get there because of convenience – however, I only buy what is absolutely necessary. Not even treats I’ve been buying so many of… they are so expensive!

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love shopping online, because it's so easy to compare prices, as well as look around for shipping discount coupons / codes. I still purchase the majority of my pet supplies at Walmart, but I've had to buy some things I don't purchase on a regular basis, and have found some good deals at Drs Foster and Smith. They have catalogues they'll send if you get on their mailing list, and of course they will also email about specials they're running. To me, it seems each place has deals from time to time, and it's just a matter of catching the right deal on the items you want, so it definitely pays to shop around. Drs Foster and Smith was the lowest price on a pet RX I purchased recently, as well as on a larger litter box.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Considering the pennies other places spend on their inventory, yes, they're over priced in general and much more so in pet stores.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well this is usually the case for all of the brick and mortar stores, the ones that are left anyways. Even when you go online, you have to think about the fact that they are probably needing to make up for the costs, so even then the prices are still higher than they should be. That is the way things are going, though, so I am not too surprised. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

12. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I use to buy things online through pet smart then I realized how much cheaper I could get my dog food at a local farm and ranch store. I by grain-free dog food so it is a little bit more expensive anyways but I have found locally is almost always better for me when buying pet food, which is weird because you would think locally owned small businesses would be more expensive. I have stopped buying from pet smart unless i need something I can't find any where else.

13. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. I rarely buy at Pet Smart unless it's for a specific item that's on sale. It's a one stop shop for a pet, so I think that they think you'll pay more to save time. But personally, outside of sales and medicine I can't find anywhere else, I rarely buy at Pet Smart. Plus, it's easier to just buy online and have it shipped to you.

14. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I also agree that some of the items are very overpriced. Sometimes you can get great coupons that helps. I usually buy bedding/toys/bowls and that kind of stuff at home goods. They have a really great selection and it's so reasonably priced. Also Costco is a great place to get food. It's comes in bulk so it can be a pain for people to carry but if you can it's worth it. They also sell good quality food compared to other low cost food brands.