An Appropriate Gift For 50th Birthday

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by forest_kitten • May 20, 2016.

1. forest_kitten

forest_kittenNew Member

Threads:
    50 years seems like a huge celebration - it's half of a century! At the same time, by the time someone gets to fifty, they usually have almost anything they want. I'm considering doing a nostalgia gift of some sort - Dylan's candy bar has pretty nice 70s and 80s candy gift sets. I'm wondering if anyone else has good ideas for nostalgia birthday presents. I've looked into buying a newspaper from the day you were born, but those run pretty steep!

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My husband turned 50 a few years ago. For his birthday some of his buddies bought his a case of Labatt's 50. He loved it.
    Here are some other great ideas.

I love the Vintage t-shirt with 1966 on it. Mugs with 1966 in them are great too. Or the chalkboard loaded with 1966 nostal gia on it. I wish I had seen some of these great ideas 2 years ago I would have done some of them for my husband.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG when you put it like that, 50 sounds so ancient LOL But it's really not, and I guess 50 is the new 40, right? I just can't think of anything off the top of my head, though. I much prefer to go off the individual's unique personality, and have never actually bought a gift for such a milestone birthday. So I'd probably be at a loss. I think I'll watch this discussion thread because I have a friend whose 50th is not too far off :)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A travel gift would be great for someone's 50th birthday. It doesn't have to be something very expensive. I'm sure it's something anyone will appreciate. But of course you need to know if that person likes traveling. If they don't your money would have been wasted.

Gardening tools might also be great.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm 61 and when I hit 50 all I wanted was my favorite chocolate dobash cake or german chocolate cake, the numbers 50 candle on it and a gift card of money. If you know your birthday person very well, get them their favorite things and favorite cake. I love the idea for a day I get my favorite things especially on my 50th!

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I vaguely remember that when my dad turned 50, he just celebrated it by treating us (the family) and himself, to eat out in a restaurant. If you like some vintage stuff, then I think compiling all their old photos and making a scrapbook would be a good idea.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd say try to make it something fun (and leave out the half a century part!). :p Just because someone is getting older, doesn't mean they don't like to have fun (can you tell I'm getting close to that milestone?).

Nostalgia gifts can be pretty cool. It really depends on the person, but a surprise party or a night out on the town might be great too.

For people who "have everything," I find that service gifts are sometimes nice. Maid for a day, a gift certificate for a massage, spa day, or something else that pampers that person can work. You can often find deals on gift certificates and gift cards.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Today is the birthday celebration of my husband's great uncle. We call him Lolo Tonio to mean grandpa Tony. It is already morning here and the affair is for lunch in a classy restaurant. Until now, we have no gift yet and maybe we will just pursue our first idea to give Lolo Tonio cash.

Here is the short note that comes with the envelope of money.... Congratulations for reaching this big number and as a gift, here is 3,000 and the rest of your guests will take care of the 100,000. Happy birthday on your 103rd. Yeah, he is 103 years old, still sprightly and looking just like 80.

PS. The money is in pesos with the exchange rate of 44 pesos to 1 dollar.