26 Ways To Save Money - Using Leftover Fruits & Vegetables

Discussion in Home & Garden started by gata montes • Sep 29, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As “ never let anything go to waste “ has always been a motto of mine - especially as recycling many of the everyday items we would generally throw away - generally means not only extra savings - but sometimes even extra cash too

On stumbling across some really imaginative and creative ways of using leftover fruits and vegetables earlier today - although many are things that I already do - as all are excellent money savers, simple and easy to make and in some cases so attractive that they could easily be used as gifts - thought I'd pass them on - so that you too could take advantage of them

So if you are looking for some inspiring ways to save a little extra money - just have a look at these

as I feel sure that you'll come across something that you would never of thought of doing :)

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find that the best way to save my money on fruits and vegetables is to buy them when they are on a good sale and then freeze them. For example, I always freeze strawberries to make smoothies, so I always make sure to buy strawberries when they are on sale and store them in the freezer. I think you can do the same with vegetables like broccoli and carrots. Just cut them in pieces and freeze them. They'll last quite some time!

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As the money saving ideas mentioned here are more related to using the parts of fruit and vegetables that would normally be discarded or put on the compost pile - although a great money saving tip isabbbela for making savings on the edible parts of fruits and vegetables - the focus here - is geared more towards the many wonderfully creative ways of saving money - by using the parts of fruits and vegetables that would normally be thrown out - rather than what can be done with their edible parts.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will try the household cleaning tip that uses orange peels and vinegar and see what will happen to this stubborn dark stains on the tiles that I can't remove using bleach and paint thinner. I hope it will remove the stain.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, some of those are really good ideas. I bookmarked the artilce for later reference. I have seen the citrus in the garbage disposal before, but many of those ideas were new to me but something I think I might want to use. Some people are really ingenious when it comes to saving money. They are really something special.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, thanks for posting a great site. Those are great suggestions on what to do with leftover fruits and vegetables. I always use my leftover veggies to make stock, but I never thought to use old lemons as a cleaner, garbage refresher or soaps. I love the idea of using orange rinds as planters or candles. These are so creative and would make great gifts. When I come across old fruits or vegetables I usually throw them in my compost but I'm going to think twice of how I can reuse them.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually get leftover fruit here and there such as a few pieces that are left from packs I bought and the best use I get out of them is to just make smoothies. This is why my mini blender has been getting a lot of use from me. What I do is I freeze the fruits so I don't have to put in ice anymore. This is good for not diluting the taste of the fruit shake and of course the ice crystals formed give a bit more depth to the shake making it thick instead of juicy and it ends up filling you up for longer than a fruit juice would so you even get to save yourself on meals and calories.

8. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using the freezing method for everything recently, because I am on a special diet right now. Rather than having to spend hours cooking every day, I have been freezing everything. I made my own bread two days ago, and it is frozen for more control over the use. Fruits will be frozen too.

9. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I am ALWAYS looking for ways to save money, especially on food! I never seem to have enough time OR money. These are great suggestions and some of them were unknown to me. Thanks for posting this.

10. EllieTamal

EllieTamalNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing a link, there are many great ideas which I'll try to use! And, by the way, I do not throw any organics - they all go to composter :)

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will usually buy vegetables frozen, as this means that you can just use the ones that you need and save the rest almost indefinitely in your freezer. But one thing that I love is making soup with leftover veg, as this is a great way to use anything up that you still have in your fridge. I use a little salt or pepper to season it, along with some water for added liquid, but the main ingredients are simply the vegetables themselves.

12. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I really liked that the idea about the dusting wipes. I've never thought about making my own scented wipes.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say, the title of the thread caught my attention. I didn't even check the preview before clicking, and I was not disappointed. This is cool. Thanks for posting the list. I'm usually a bit wary, wondering what strange and awful things people might tell me to save rotten vegetables for, ha ha, but this one has some really interesting and helpful ideas. I bookmarked the link and plan to try several of these (some I do already).

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the site to go to and there are some good ideas there! So many useful things you can make and do with left over fruits and vegetables that I did not know of at all! It makes sense to have these tips so you can be prettier, get things clean and more. What a nice site to learn something new for your home!

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is how I usually use my vegetables up as well, especially the frozen ones. There always seems to be just a little bit left at the end of the bag (I guess I should start measuring, but I usually just eyeball it). Making soups is always a good way to save money though, if you ask me. It makes meats go further as well.

I'm always happy to learn more ways to save money, and the list provided seems to make sure you will get your money's worth from fruits and vegetables. Great find, @gata montes@gata montes.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember last year's summer when the kids were here, my husband would buy fruits for them. When the leftover banana would nearing to be spoiled, my husband would cook it into banana bread.And it was always a hit. With excess mangoes, he would mix it with some ingredients to come up with a homemade ice cream mango flavor. It is also another hit. But when the kids are not here, we budget the fruits so nothing is spoiled, everything is finished.