3 Summer hotel/motel tips

Discussion in Travel started by goodselfme • May 5, 2012.

1. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    While traveling this summer, try these tips for a nice reduction in a hotel, motel or other overnight lodge. Arrive after 10PM for one of the lowest rates. Most people reserve ahead of time or arrive between 8 and 9PM for overnight lodging. When you arrive after those people are in for the night, the manager gives a discount.
    One other tip I learned is to ask for a RACK rate. This is the room that might not have all the amenities all the others has, but if your main idea is saving money, you will do without a TV, VCR, WiFi, and refrigerator for the night.
    Still another is to ask for a discount if you plan to stay more than one night.

#1May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have discovered when booking a hotel room online through their own website can be cheaper, too. This may not apply to all hotel chains but it worked for me a few times with Quality Inn hotels. I would only look up the price for the room and availability online. Then when I called to make the reservations the price would be higher. I would mention the online price and they would honor it.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've never heard of the rack rate before. :S Often times when I'm traveling, I'm there simply to sleep a few hours and maybe shower, so I don't even touch the TV, etc. Do you know of hotels actually have rooms like this often or is it hit or miss depending on the chain?

4. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    You can also find the managers special. This special is generally a great deal and commonly specific to the hotel. For example the hotel my husband stayed at had a managers special rate about 20 bucks cheaper then any rates offered even rack rate.

5. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it is worth checking if there are discounts available to members of organizations you belong to. I was able to get a discount that way recently when we made a last minute decision to break our trip into 2 days driving instead of 1. I checked the organization's connections for hotel discounts, then found a participating hotel along my route.

6. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Great tips. I would also say that if you see the hotel is not fully booked, you can ask for a discount y proposing another price. Don't overdo it though as it is not wise to bargain. For example if the room costs 120, tell them you had planned for 100, and they will probably say yes. Moreover, keep in mind that mosts hotels have a 10% plus price if you only stay one night, so plan ahead for your trip

7. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I ask for the rack rate each time I stay overnight at any hotel or motel.If they look at me strangely, I tell them just about what you said here. I mention I won't be using any of the facilities and just want a bare bones place to sleep for the night. It might be a little smaller room, but I have saved a lot of money by letting them know they won't have to give me extras that others pay for in their room rates.

8. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I never stayed in 5 or even 3-star hotels when I travel. Although I want a comfortable rest, I think I don't need a TV, pool, jacuzzi and other luxury amenities. I am traveling to enjoy the place and not to enjoy the hotel.

This has always been my mindset when it comes to choosing hotels where I stay in during my travels. As long as the basics are there, I'm good.

9. vk kapoor

vk kapoorMember

Threads:
    The given information in your post is really very good. Good information and very good job done by you guys.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of the "rack rate" would that type of discount be lower than a senior citizen discount?

The next time I go some place for overnight I will have to remember these cash saving tips.