4 Budget Tips On Buying Clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by EditorsRHumansToo! • Aug 28, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    It takes patience and a matter of good taste to really look great on your choices of clothes on a budget. Here are 3 ways to do that:

1. Stick to your limit. Save weekly cash only for this occasion of spending on clothes.
    2. Right size. Make your loosing of weight intentional and planned. So that, you don't impulsively buy an outfit too big trying to hide the flab, or too small as an incentive to lose weight. Otherwise, you'll only end up bagging that expensive outfit not your size to give-away to the Op-Shop of thrift store.
    3. Shop when it's on sale. There are famous brand clothes being put on discount every year or every end of each season. Save your money for these sales. Spend less look professional and fashionably great in quality clothes.
    4. Avoid high-maintenance clothes. Make sure the item you've been eyeing for for a along time isn't a dry-clean-only. Buy one you can wash and dry at home

We can look good with tastefully fit clothes on a budget. You never know how you can put much thought on these tips and have pleasant results.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Most important one there is don't by dry clean only clothes, except of course your winter coat, but you only need to clean that nice a year usually. Dry cleaning costs end up being more than the original price of the item before you even know it, and exposing yourself to all those chemicals can cause skin irritation and contribute to other health problems as it's very toxic.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don not purchase anything that needs to be dry cleaned. My first stepwhen I am looking for clothes is to look at the care tag, if the item requires dry cleaning I will not purchase it no matter how much I like it. I know I would wear the item once and never have it dry cleaned. Or if I think I can hand wash in cold water I may think about it but even then, I may not because I don't like hand wash items either.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go with that shop when there are sales but I abide with the fitting. If it doesn't fit, I do not buy. There were so many instances when I liked a dress or shoes that didn't fit me. I would try it for a time and feel if it's all right even if it doesn't fit me very well but prudence says that I should forgo with that and just look for another to try that would fit me very well.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’m another one who refuses to buy dry-clean only items. I’ve been given a few over the years but since they were free, I had no qualms hand-washing them. I never had problems, but if I’m paying, it’s just too risky. Kind of a shame because I’m a sucker for the look of things like Everlane silk tops. Alas, they would just be far too much upkeep for me, not to mention they’re more than a bit out of my budget. Best to stick with my viscose stuff ;)

6. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    When I go shopping, I do my best to buy using only cash. I would go to the ATM beforehand and get some cash out, and I know that if that's all the money I have that's all the money I'll be able to spend. I usually go through my wardrobe at home too to make sure I know exactly what I want to buy, so my chances of impulse buying is significantly lower than if I was to just shop without really knowing what I need.

Also, I heard that it wouldn't hurt to ask the sales person who is helping you check out to see if there are any current sales going on that you're not aware of. If you ask NICELY they sometimes will tack on additional discounts.

7. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I love those tips!

1. Stick to your limit. Yes! I always just buy what I need not what I want. Because when you do that, you will end up with a closet full of unworn clothes.

2. Right fit is very important! Back when I was heavier, I tend to wear baggy clothes which was very wrong. I looked way heavier than I was.

3. Sales are my heaven! I love buying clothes on sale not just for me, but also for my son!

4. I really do not have any high maintenance clothes. I love cotton and despise any other fabric lol!

8. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    There are some very useful tips here. I will often randomly buy as I see something I like and then don't get to wear it for a while. That can be wasteful. It is better to buy clothes with a purpose sticking to time, need, and budget. I also think buying the right size is really important. Sometimes I pick up something on sale that does not fit right and then I don't wear it because I never manage to fit into it right.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    1. Don't buy clothes that need to be dry cleaned. Dry cleaning is very expensive, and if you are like me, the clothes will sit around forever before I get around to taking them in.

2. Buy clothes that you will be able to wear for a few years before they go out of style. Trendy clothes are a waste of money.

3. Buy clothes that will not fade after a few washings.

4. Make sure you love the clothes when you see them in the store or you will never wear them when you get them home. Clothes always look most appealing in the store.

10. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that dry-cleaning businesses use chemicals to dry-clean clothes. Or else, how would they clean clothes without soap and water? :) To add to the expenses, skin allergens due to the chemicals used in dry cleaning can cause frequent trips to the doctors. And the prescription drugs we don't need and more drugs to combat the prescribed drugs' side-effects is just a money-consuming vicious cycle. Thanks!

11. roydominic33

roydominic33New Member

Threads:
    I especially agree with the "Avoid high-maintenance clothes". I'm a guy and don't even have a choosy taste when it comes to my clothes. It doesn't make any sense to me to spend all that much money just to have it sit in your cabinet waiting to be ironed or dry cleaned or something. Although I can't say much about women's clothes because, well I'm a guy and have very simple needs. Although, I'm very skeptical about shopping when it's on sale. Most stores would rank up the prices a bit so that when you decide to buy an item with a "discount", you'll end up paying the same price. For me, you should shop when you absolutely need it.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    More tips:

- Buy your clothes from thrift stores and save a lot of money.

- Buy fewer clothes. You don't need too many clothes. Be a minimalist and fatten your wallet.

- Buy quality all the time. Durability counts if you don't want to replace worn out clothes frequently.

- Rent clothes you'll wear only once.

- Buy knock-offs if fashion is your thing but you don't want to spend a lot of money on clothes which you won't be wearing for long.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love getting a great deal, so I tend to shop where I know I will save money and find items that I really love. The more I actually like the clothing, the more use I will get out of it. Years ago, I'd be tempted to buy something pretty just because it was on sale, without taking into consideration what I would pair it up with. Because of that, some of the items remained unworn, or I'd end up buying matching pieces or accessories specifically to go with that piece, which ultimately cost me more money. These days, I stick to mainly neutral colors, with a few brighter ones mixed in, that way most of my clothes are interchangeable, so I get more use out of them.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are some great tips. It is also helpful to shop out of season. Buy your summer clothes after July 4th when they are already on sale. The same with your Fall and Winter clothing. When you wait until After Jan. 1 you can get many great clothing deals. These are some of the ways to save.

#14Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015