64 Gb Flash Drive Issues

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by JoanMcWench • Apr 10, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe someone can give me an idea why this is happening: I bought a drive online & have quick formatted it & completely formatted it many times now only to find it will not transfer images or video. I've moved them & I've waited exorbitant amounts of time only to find nothing has transferred over. A couple gigs? Sure. Anything over 20? No dice. Anyone have an idea why?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Perhaps you set it to "Read Only." I can't exactly pinpoint what happened but I have a feeling that the quick formatting and the several complete formattings thereafter disoriented your flash drive. You should check with an expert and see if there's any hope for your flash drive. You can check the property settings too just in case you write-protected it.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly what xTinx said above. If it's in read only format, then that explains what's going on. Otherwise, perhaps you bought a faulty drive that's just not performing tasks for a different reason. If Read Only isn't the issue, then I'd recommend returning the drive and getting a new one, if possible.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely not 'read only'. I think you might be right. I think it's a faulty drive. It makes no sense that occasionally videos are viewable but not if too many are on the drive. That definitely doesn't speak to a 'read only' problem & I'm leaning more toward it being a drive problem.

5. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I think your drive is faulty or has a factory defect. If you still have a warrantly card please contact your supplier. Please avoid to much reformatting of drive(flash)because sometimes it can cause damage to your hardware.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly, no I think this one is a wash for me. I got it from a friend for a very cheap price but clearly cheap is never free. So it is then. I thought quick formatting did not affect the hardware?

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've had a couple of my old thumb drives give me is problem before and I don't think there's a proper fix for it. I once thought just reformatting them would do the trick but it turned out that I'd have to do them several times so since then I've never kept anything valuable in them and I mostly now just use it for temporary things like music files.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had an SD card with similar issues. I'd try to save files on the drive without much success. Sometimes though when the files were saved, they could be fine for a little while but later they get corrupt. Looked around the net and thought the drive had some bad sectors. Got software which it was claimed would "repair" the SD card. It didn't help.

Save time, get yourself a different flash disk.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that sounds like faulty sectors on your drive. You can run scandisk to make sure, but I'd bet thats the case, since it just sounds like the drive can't access the sectors it was saving/tried to save the data on.

10. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    There's another equally common explanation: perhaps you got scammed? Some scammers sell drives that read like they have three times the space on them. This is common on ebay from sellers in China. They usually have hidden log files that you can change the displayed capacity of the drive on.

11. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    lol That's a possibility. However, I should hope my friend isn't scamming it up & was just caught up in the same situation unbeknownst to her.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with TommyVercetti, maybe the flash drive wasn't as advertised. You ought to test it with h2testw.exe, it will test the capacity of your flash drive. You can download and learn more about the software here:

That's the reason why I don't buy unbranded storage devices, they are liable to malfunction.

13. Patryk9595

Patryk9595New Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it definitely looks like a hadrware failure to me. I've had a similar problem, even with branded flash drives. After some time, I noticed that files on the drive are getting corrupted. I've tried zeroing the drive from linux, formatting, and nothing helped, it only got worse - the drive stopped responding completely.