8 Tips To Save Money For Your Most Wanted Wish-list Item

Discussion in Product Reviews started by EditorsRHumansToo! • Apr 14, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    I'm a stickler on saving money. Who isn’t? We save to spend, ironically. But there’s wisdom to this practice. And the 8 saving tips which I have kept have always worked to my advantage. We want the best quality, the latest gadget, the trendy attire, the memorable holiday. But be ealistic in our limitations with our capability to save money. And so, we wise up on our spending. At the same time, be satisfied when our most desired item has finally arrived into our hands.

1. Reviews. As much as you dream of the item you’ve been wishing for, it’s wise to research and read reviews, first. Compare. Do not spare yourself with mediocre reviews. What people say who have realistic approach about the product based on real experiences count. Take particular sticker on your ‘Apple of the eye’ with high standard.

2. Do a scrutiny from different sites. Open your eyes with a critical lens. It’s your money which you will be spending. You’ve worked hard for your money on hand.

3. Wait for sales. This is the hardest part. But you will never be sorry to have waited, saved, and compared prices. Second hand SLR cameras, for example, have saved me from regrets.

4. Ask friends. I do this a lot. And their input about what to choose has saved me money for good value in the past. Now, do it again.

5. Check out on eBay for a second hand. It’s lots of fun looking from eBay. Stick only on one specific item you are looking for on eBay. Looking somewhere else apart from what you’re looking invites distraction from what you really are looking for.

6. Be patient. If you do not have this, force yourself to have patience. Always think, “Patience is worth it. Haste makes waste.”

7. Save money while looking. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. If you do not have the money, refuse to use your credit card, no matter what

8. Talk to yourself about it.Do I need it?" Ask yourself this important self-examination. Ask again, “If I don’t have the money right now, why will I buy it?” Be honest and truthful. And then, get offline from browsing over the internet about the item. You think you need it but, really, you can wait for the right time.

#1Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I intended to reply and tell you that #2 was a problem. Then I was going to add #3, then #s 6, 7 & 8. Lol
    I probably just need to memorize the entire list. Either that or copy it and put it on my computer. That's where I do most of my shopping. My biggest problem is I'll see serving I don't need. As soon as I see it I realize my life will be empty until I have it. I don't look around because its already right there in front of me. I can't wait for any sales, because they may stop selling it before it goes on sale. After all this, I excitedly order the 150$ swimming pool accessory for the pool I don't have. Lol, that's why I never have money for anything I need. Thank you for this list! I expected the tips like you hear everyday. These never occurred to me, but they make so much sense!

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    At once point, I had moved to a new location that was literally walking distance from a Bed Bath & Beyond - so you could imagine what this small appliance junkie was doing every evening after work - hitting up BB&B and constantly buying new gadgets I really didn't need.

In fact, the next time I moved again, I ended up having to get rid of so many small kitchen appliances that I had accumulated, it was rather embarrassing. I either tossed it out (such a waste!) or my family members sold the rest of the items off on eBay, and at least made a little money back off of them. But I let them keep the money since they did the work, I just couldn't bear throwing out all that stuff.

So, perhaps another way to save money towards something you really want, is to cross out the several other items you are considering buying that you definitely don't need first.

4. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Haha! that's my thinking too: "the sale might stop selling before they go on sale." And the "empty life" disease.

5. Rowan

RowanNew Member

Threads:
    I just go by this, save money in as many places as possible, so you can buy whatever you want when you see it.
    I dint mean go spend all of the money you have to buy whatever you want.
    I mean, try to save a certain amount each month, like $20, now each month say you can spend $20 on whatever you want.
    If you want a $25 watch or something, you wait until next month, but you still have another $15 in your pocket this way.

6. Jannnnjan

JannnnjanActive Member

Threads:
    I used to feel that I deserved the things I treated myself to each month out of my pay. However, I'm older and wiser now. I realise it's better to save and buy yourself something you really need and that will be useful. I came to this conclusion after accumulating piles of stuff which were really a waste of money.
    Now I appreciate what I do buy because I have put thought into what I really want and have saved hard to get it.

7. Heather_Rose

Heather_RoseNew Member

Threads:
    I work at a charity second hand store. The number of things we get donated that people bought, then decided weren't quite the right choice, would astound you! Your advice is fantastic; unless you're made of money, make sure it really is exactly what you want before you purchase an item, or get it second hand, so the financial risk is smaller. It might surprise you how many quality unused (or once-used) items wind at a thrift shop, courtesy of someone who hasn't taken Editorsrhumanstoo's advice!

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Pretty solid tips. I think a lot of people have problems with impulse buying. Whether it's on food or other items. Making an emotional decision is the worst thing you can do. Personally, I'm pretty thorough when it comes to spending, especially on a big item. Of course, there are times when we all just can't resist buying something and we believe we have to have it now. I'm not immune to that either.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I guess I have those moments where I can't resist buying something, mainly on Amazon though. I think I have an addiction to that website XD because I often find things I want to buy but I almost always use the gift cards I earned instead of actual money.
    But I don't really have a big problem with spending. I don't like to waste money in any form because I know I may need it later. Also I try not to buy too much stuff because I really don't like having much stuff. I think about where it will fit in my home. For example, I've wanted a microwave in my room for a long time but I keep thinking "where am I going to put it?" A well organized spacious home is much more important than just buying some silly thing you want.

10. Natalie89

Natalie89Member

Threads:
    Some real solid advice here; before I had my little boy (and had a lot more disposable income!) I was a spontaneous buyer, and if something caught my eye I'd just pick it up. This is why now I'm in the middle of a major decluttering of my house, selling most of the things I bought on a whim to fund dream trips for me and my son, and purchase things we actually need in the home.
    Working in finance helps me keep track of what I'm doing money-wise, so frivolous spending is definitely more of a habit to me than me having a problem with managing my money. Luckily lots of hints and tips can be found on the net, much like yours, which help people.