A Good Alternative To Facebook

Discussion in Product Reviews started by haitch • Feb 3, 2015.

1. haitch

haitchNew Member

Threads:
    Facebook is fantastic with the amount of people on it but it doesnt have the best layout or interconnectivity. Google+ is also good as it can be connected to your gmail account. both have their drawbacks but what is the best social networking site.

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Facebook is currently the best social networking site around so there's no need for an alternative. But if you want to try out something new, just try G+. However, G+ is like a ghost town. There are a lot of members but not a lot of them are active. If you want a different kind of social media experience, try reddit out. It's pretty fun to read comments there.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've strayed from Facebook lately since being on Instagram. I find that it has everything I'm interested in. Picture updates, a few words, sentences, or hashtags, and comments. I keep in touch with those I want to keep in touch with, and it isn't overloaded with ads, stupid trending stories, and poorly written and possibly untrue "news" articles.

4. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I recently closed my Facebook account. I use twitter to target the audience that I want. I make conscious hip-hop and the FB crowd was just not for me. I just started using Instagram and it's almost like FB and Twitter combined but for sharing pictures, mainly.

5. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't trust Facebook. It really bothers me that I am never logged in Facebook, go on it only once a month, but when I do, there will be ads in the body for the exact things I have googled or searched. I once was contemplating getting a certain pair of runners, then I opened FB, and the exact runners I had been googling were sitting in the corner. Stuff like that happens all the time, even though I am sure I'm logged out and rarely go on it.

Clearly they are gathering huge amounts of data and I really don't trust what they are doing with it. I will always remember some article I read about Zuckerberg and how he said he was asking for people's school emails and phones numbers or whatever, and he said they "were stupid enough to give it me". I always remember that and feel it plays to how untrustworthy he is. But it is so hard to get off FB because you have ties to people on there you probably wouldn't have in any other way.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Google is doing this too. They store your search information and show you ads based on what you search because what you search are the things that interest you. Probably the same with Facebook. This is to give more value to the money being paid by advertisers. Kinda creepy if you think about it.

Anyways, I've heard of Marc Zuckerberg saying that stuff. He really can act like an a$$hole but I do believe that he means no harm.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the best alternative to Facebook is keeping your privacy and staying off of social media.
    But Twitter is fun for following celebrities and seeing that Calvin Harris made pancakes or Paula Abdul's nephews graduated. If you're a fan of any famous people, Twitter is fun.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not very active on Facebook anymore. The only reason I haven't closed my account there yet is because I have a lot of friends there whom I still want to keep in touch with. I'm loving Twitter now. I am able to express myself more in that site.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am with the above poster, in the way that I do not ever use Facebook anymore, and haven't used it in over a year. Before that, I had gone through a stint of not using it for two years. It's negative, and annoying and just not necessary for me. Tumblr is my current favorite social media website, and is funny and informative and just all and out better than facebook.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still prefer Facebook and use all the privacy measures I can. It does work as sometimes new friends who want to add me can't find me. I don't like g+, I don't trust them and what they store and who they share it with. The privacy controls are never straightforward and I know many people who don't use gmail and don;t want to, so you lose a huge chunk of people. I use a profile for blogger, but keep it so basic, it tells you barely anything about me.

11. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm on both Facebook and Google+, but I use Facebook far more. It's far more practical for me. Very few of my friends even touch Google+, and they're certainly not interested in juggling more than one option.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really like any of these sites. I'd much rather have privacy. Like others have said, I don't completely quit FB, since there are people on there I'm not in touch with in any other way. I just never feel comfortable using it. I wanted to set up a separate FB for my blog, but they make you use your name and try to connect everything together. I don't always want everything connected. My blog is separate from my personal life. They are all way too much up in your business for me to be comfortable.

13. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    This makes me think of the book The Circle by Dave Eggers. It's a story about a girl who gets a job at a company that seems like a cross between FaceBook and Apple. Their goal is to have everything connected, like a circle. So all the various info you put in randomly here and there on different sites, they would want to link everything so there is completely transparency on you and you are completely tracked and visible on the internet. There's a lot more to the book than that, but the point is I really see both Facebook and Apple separately both working towards something like this.

I also don't think it's too far off either, because I think the younger generation is allowing this to happen. With all your info and pictures stored in the Could, then apps which just hold all your credit card info for you, your comments and life story being tracked online, your phone which tracks your location with a gps, I'm mean it it something to consider how much privacy we have lost.

14. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    The main reason why Google+ is not a good alternative, and why there really is no good alternative, is because Facebook already has so many users. There are a lot of people who do not use Google+ so you are unable to connect in the same way you do on Facebook.

15. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It is subjective, it is like asking what is your favourite band or food or football team. I don't think you will find anything better than Facebook to be honest, Google+ and Twitter are decent but they lack what Facebook offers.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree to a certain extent. But I also agree that it is subjective. On one hand almost everybody and their mothers use Facebook. Businesses are on Facebook also, and you can check out a whole bunch of things on there, and other social networking websites do not provide as such.

But then it is also subjective in the way that Facebook does not work for many, but because everyone else uses it, it is just easy to stay connected through facebook. Many have side social networking websites that they use, and FB is the main one.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Google+ has been around for a long time and it just never caught on because many people like to keep things separate and a gmail account does have too much information, for example it shows up who you may know from your address book and there are people there who are in my address book who are lawyers and realtors that I don't want people to know about. In that way it's too intrusive and the default is public which means you have to actively make it private. A friend added me on her google+ and found my photo in her google search which forced me to delete it.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Google Plus is way too exploitative for me. To make matters worse, you have to have one in order to navigate a Youtube account, which was annoying when that change happened. The settings are very difficult to get a handle on, and I don't think that that is unintentional. Privacy settings are a joke, which is not shocking. But it is also shocking in the regard that anything Google is usually successful.

19. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    That is true that it is subjective. I just think, though, that Facebook has the overall advantage because of the size of their user base. I am sure there are plenty of people who would prefer a different social networking site due to dissatisfaction with Facebook's current features. I happen to be one of them. However, despite any site I try I acknowledge it cannot replace Facebook since I can connect with virtually anyone there.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I hate it. It's like now you have to have a separate email address (via different providers) for everything you want to do, because google just puts all your gmail business out there for everyone.

The youtube thing annoys me too. I've never even signed up for anything on youtube, but apparently one of my kids must have using my computer. There is a goofy, childish message posted on a youtube page from several years ago, attributed to me. And, by attributed to me, I don't just mean my account alias. No, it's in my full name. I know darn well I never would have posted anything to youtube using my full name.