A good $/lb ratio?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by brandontnguyen • Apr 14, 2012.

1. brandontnguyen

brandontnguyenNew Member

Threads:
    I am just asking in general terms, but what would be a good amount to pay per pound for used standard weight plates? I know most stores sell them for over a dollar per pound, and that's quite excessive. When I first started working out, some guy sold me over 100 pounds for like 30 bucks, which I felt was a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, I can't find that cheap of a deal anymore, so I'm just asking what would be the norm price that people usually sell at? I'm talking like flee markets and garage sales by the way.

2. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    Flee markets and garage sales tend to vary depending on the person selling their stuff. Sometimes they realize that what they have is worth a lot and wont be willing to sell it at such a low price. The cheapest I've seen is 150$ for a 300lb weight set, two barbels and a bench. That was a real good deal.

Stores on the other hand usually sell it for more than a dollar per pound but some stores go as low as $0.95 per pound which isn't that much of a difference unless your planning on buying a lot.

3. untitled

untitledMember

Threads:
    The price of weights has increased pretty dramatically in the last decade, buying my 250 pound weight set cost me around a dollar a pound brand new.

4. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never found anyone with cheap prices. I believe the best deal you can get is a little bit less than a dollar. You may check ads though, as there is always someone that really wants to sell or doesn't need the cash. Maybe you can ask friends if they know a friend... and so on. You can also spread the word at your gym that you are looking to buy. Then you will have better chances.

5. PontusEuxinus

PontusEuxinusNew Member

Threads:
    You're likely to find prices close to $1/lb in most retail outlets.

You can always score a deal on Craigslist or a friend of a friend who is no longer in need of their equipment. Also, I've found cheap weights at public auctions. If you know of any small gyms in your area, see if you can convince them to allow you to put in an order next time they buy equipment in bulk.