A Good Way To Save On Fashion

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by tasha • Jan 27, 2015.

1. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    After Christmas sadly everything that you have bought goes on sale and it goes to less 75% so why not wait until after Christmas to get that outfit that you want and while you are buying, get some early Chrsitmas shopping done by buying on sale and keeping it safe until the following Christmas. Buy neutral items that wont go out of fashion and look out for the designer labels that go on a 75% sale.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I lived in England, we used to try to save our money and shop in the January sales for Christmas presents. All very good on paper, but very hard to implement. Obviously, you'd save a lot of money and also save time as you'll have bought your presents well in advance. Well, it never happened! We finally gave up and like everybody else, always did a rush job shopping for presents. But we always spoilt ourselves by putting aside some money to spend on ourselves in the January sales.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    It is kind of sad that the best bargains do come right after Christmas. Yes, stores claim you can get great deals prior to Christmas but still not at this huge a marked down. You do have a good suggestion there in buying items for next year. May seem like a real jump on the Christmas shoping season, in fact, a major jump but it does make sense if a person wants to get a real great bargain. Just make sure they buy something that the individual won't want to return or the case of electronics actually works because after all that time the item couldn't be returned.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    After Christmas sales are amazing, but the lines are crazy. I went once and got a great deal but when I think about doing that again I realize I have enough, I don't need to deal with that.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't always happen, you know. Sometimes, I save more when I buy during the holidays than after it. Post-Christmas mall-wide sales are few and far between, stretching up to the first two weeks of January. The biggest discounts usually occur over the holidays as malls tend to throw out year-end sales.

6. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    You are so right about the sale items after Christmas. I honestly didn't pay so much attention to that before, until this Christmas! I bought quite a lot during the holiday, for some reason I was really in a mood for clothes shopping. I bought several pieces that I will be able to use for a long time and for different occasions. However, come Jan 2, everything was on sale!!! I totally regret buying a lot during Christmas! I should have waited just a few days and with that amount I spent, I could have saved half! Anyway, lesson learned for next year.

Normally, what i do to save on fashion is to be really picky on what I buy. I make sure they are durable enough or the piece of clothing is flexible enough to use in different situations. This way, you get to maximize each piece of clothing.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The other thing you have to be aware of with January clothing store sales, is that some stores are looking to get rid of their old lines from a season or even a couple of seasons back. Some of these clothes are faulty and not in the best of conditions. River Island (UK), one of my favourite high street stores, is very notorious for this. My husband and I even decided to stop going to their January sales as we could never find anything decent. We preferred to buy their full price clothes instead. By contrast, Zara sales are fantastic!

8. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    I almost never buy clothes that are not on sale. I just don't see the point! I guess I'm not much of a fashionista and don't care too much about clothes, so maybe that's how I can save a lot ;)

I admit though that it does take a little bit more work - and I'm always buying things that only have a few more weeks worth of wear in them for the year because the season is changing, but when I'm very happy with how easy it is to stay within my clothes budget. Most of the time I have to buy clothes for work as my old clothes are getting a little tatty, and I always find these clothes tend to be more on the expensive side, but by always buying on sale I think I tend to spend a lot less than most people.

9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Since I am on a strict boycott of Black Friday I don't get to take advantage of those crazy deals. This year I did about 95% of my holiday shopping on Amazon and Ebay and saved a TON of money. I think your idea of looking for good deals outside of the holidays is awesome and am certainly thinking about doing that this year. not only will I be saving, but it alleviates the stress of last minute shopping in high traffic.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, the best really is to buy during the sale season because you get the clothes new and at a cheap price despite that they are not in their latest edition of model. I also equally consider good repairing your old clothes for those who are really creative. Badly for me, I'm not creative, so I think this isn't going to work well for me. Also, you could ask clothes from your close relatives or friends. Clothes that they no longer use to give to you and just use your creativity to make the most of them.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally I do not purchase an item unless it is on sale. I no longer have the need to shop just for the sake of shopping. If I purchase an item I need it and then, it must be on sale. During the holidays I try to pick up items months in advance so that by the time the holidays are here I am done with my shopping and I have not spent money on items I didn't need.

12. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    003, I got a small collection of good office clothes from a good friend of mine who just couldn't stand ironing them anymore! I wear at least one of the shirts regularly, and it looks really good. I wouldn't even normally have picked out that shirt because it's pink and I kind of have an aversion to wearing pink, but it looks good. :) I guess it's also a good way to experiment outside of what you normally wear!

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    A good way to save on fashion would be to make your own clothes. Pull off a "do-it-yourself" project and just let your creativity flow. :):)

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that a great way to save on fashion would be to make your own clothes. But then not everybody can make their own clothes. My auntie makes clothes, but I would still have to pay her to make me something. So it would still be expensive, even if you knew someone who could make you clothing.

On the other hand, I would say that to save money on fashion, people should stop worrying about brand names, and just focus on what attracts their eyes, and the quality of each item, as opposed to having Gucci or Prada.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One year, when my girls were teens, we did the after Christmas sale thing. We bought each of them something small to open on Christmas day, and then we took them for a shopping trip during the sales. We made a day of it, took them to lunch, the whole bit. It was great. They got lots of nice clothes for a lot less money. They were quite happy. They were all about clothes in those days, so they had a blast.

Another fun way to save on clothing is to learn to refashion what you already have or thrift finds. There are some really cool designs, and with some creativity and practice, you can make yourself some cute things.

16. PrettyBrainQueen

PrettyBrainQueenBanned

Threads:
    Online clothes shopping I feel will always be the best way to shop. Of course the down side if it fits you perfectly but if that's conquered then you have something from online that few people have because as we know there's just more to choose from online. ioffer.com has really great deals if you're into that kind of thing. Definitely a womans paradise when it comes to accessories.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like clothes that have a bit of a dark ,edgy look ,like skull shirts.
    So instead of buying skull shirts at Hot Topic or online, I hit the after Halloween sales. I'm wearing a cool black t shirt right now a purple skull on it that I bought for $3 the day after Halloween. I was watching one of those special effects shows on SyFy and one of the special effects guys had long hair and tattoos and was wearing a skull and spiderwebs t shirt that was identical to a shirt I got at Walmart one year at their after Halloween sale for $1.99.
    So, if you want to look alternative on the cheap, get your skull shirts the day after Halloween instead of buying them at a specialized store for rock & roll clothing.

18. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    I found it the best way to save on fashion.. I buy clothes, Christmas crafts and decoration items in the January sale in advance..

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too because I love shopping after the Christmas season when everything is on sale. I understand why some people prefer to buy before or during the Christmas season though because most items will be gone by the end of the year. Usually the items that are left are just the leftover stock that no one wanted, and from time to time you'll still be able to find some hidden gems but generally most of the items left aren't in too good of a condition at that point since by then most people have prodded and poked all items at stores and bargain bins.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:When I was younger the sale was called Day After Thanksgiving Day Sale. Now it's called Black Friday. We got cyber Monday for online shoppers too that you can get wonderful products for a very good price! The after Christmas sales are good too and you do save a lot buying them. I love these sales.