A little trick to lower your cable bill

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Nick2011 • Aug 6, 2012.

1. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    So a lot of people seem to have really high cable bills because they're paying for all of these premium channels. Cinemax, Showtime, HBO, etc. So here's a little trick to help lower your bill when it comes to Premium Channels. Some people may know this already, some may not. But for those who don't. All you REALLY need is HBO and Starz. Why? Well what HBO plays, is what Cinemax plays. So if a movie you wanna see is on Cinemax in January, don't fret. It'll be on HBO in March or something.

When you pay for Starz, it's like getting two channels for the price of one. Because you get Encore with it. Also, what Showtime, and The Movie Channel play? Usually ends up on Starz or Encore at some point. So you'll just need to bide your time. If you follow these tricks, and eliminate MAX, TMC, and Sho from your packages? You can save a lot of money!

2. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    LOl I ruled out the movie channels a long time ago. I just wait for them to give them for free. Or, I wait for them to make some mistake on my bill, or provide me bad service and they give my a premium channel for a few months for free. I have free Showtime right now, due to the viacom fiasco..

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I pay for both HBO and Stars and they run the same movies over and over. I'm thinking about turning my satellite off for a little while because I really don't see the point. You're right about waiting and it will be shown on HBO, I don't see what's the big hurry anyways. The cable/satellite company has deals where you can get Showtime free for a month, but then they sneak in the charges when you're not looking lol.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Cable up here in Canada is outrageously expensive. The cheapest cable plan is at least $30 plus all the fees and taxes. I personally don't have television, but I do have high-speed Internet, which is around $65 per month, including the fees and taxes. I wish the cable companies would allow you to pick and choose the channels.

Ah! My plan would look like this:

CNN
    Turner Classic Movies
    CP24
    TVTropolis
    The Weather Network

That's it. How much would that cost? It'd make life simpler and cheaper.

5. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    I get all those except Turner with no cable at all; just what the TVs reception picks up.

6. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah the cable companies shove useless channels down your throat but make you pay outrageous amounts for the ones that you need. I don't watch too many channels either, I watch at most 5-6 channels. The trick definitely works with movie channels but if you are one are impatient then there is no alternative but to pay.

7. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    I don't know about as far as movies go bothering with those other channels. My family and I have never had a desire to have the movie channels because we would always wait for them to be available to us for free. I recommend using Redbox if you're in the US and you just want to be able to see movies when they become available, it's more affordable and no monthly fees. Added bonus if you're picky about movies you can pick and choose what you're interested in sincerely. Not to mention they send out free codes at least once a month and if you have multiple credit cards you can usually use several different codes for a first redbox rental on the cards. There is also a thread on here where I learned that there are some online rewards/incentive programs where you can get free redbox rentals:

Don't know how accurate that information is now, but definitely something to look into if you're interested in movies. It'll save tremendously on the cable bill I bet!

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Time Warner Cable will often times lower your bill if you call them up and explain that you would like to cancel their service and look elsewhere. They start pulling all kinds of new deals out of thin air to offer you. The frustrating thing, is that conversely you have to keep a close eye on your statements because they commonly start tacking new fees on here and there till your bill goes back up to where it was. Or if they do offer you a cheaper package, clarify with them that you will still be getting all the same channels.

9. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Cable companies are criminals! They should be horse whipped? I haven't paid for premium channels in years, we get all the Encore channels with our package. We watch a lot of history and animal shows, so we had to get a higher priced package.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    In our country however, we have to avail a package of tv stations whether we like it or not. its about $6/month, its not so bad when you get to see a movie every night but I'm not fond of it. I like to see River Monster by Jeremy Wade which is almost just once a month. Good thing there's Animal planet

11. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I switch providers every year in order to take advantage of their discounts for new customers.

12. alizawilliams

alizawilliamsNew Member

Threads:
    I am also faced same problem & in frustration i'd cut my cable connection but than my friend suggest me remindme2save.com site to reduce my monthly bill & i used this service free of cost & you can't imagine its works

13. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    My strategy? something like "squatting"---I mean; if I subscribe to the service long enough then pretty soon I'll OWN the company, right?