A must-do Dolphin experience at SeaWorld

Discussion in Travel started by niceness8000 • Sep 1, 2012.

1. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    If you ever go to SeaWorld in Orlando, they have an attraction where you are allowed to feed live dolphins. This is especially of interest to people who don't live in coastal areas or don't have the opportunity to see aquatic wildlife. You get to pet the dolphins as you drop the fish into their mouths. There's an extra charge for this attraction, but in my opinion it's worth it. I've uploaded a video here about how to feed the dolphins:

2. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    It is amazing. For another close encounter, they have a large shallow pool in the shade where you can feed Manta Rays. They are not trained or anything - you hold the fish between your fingers so it dangles upwards, and the ray drifts by and actually sucks the fish up from your hand. It's really cool - they have a mouth that feels like rough ridges. Beautiful, graceful creatures.

They don't let you feed the polar bears - but they do have an underwater observation area that is spectacular. I enjoy SeaWorld more than Disney, certainly for nature encounters.

3. niceness8000

Threads:
    Yes, but for whatever reason, the people are actually afraid to feed the stingrays. Most people are afraid to touch them. I love feeding them. The big ones actually have to crawl up your hand to get their mouth to the fish. When this happens, most people freak out.

4. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    SeaWorld is my favorite park to visit. I absolutely agree about the dolphin experience. I can't remember exactly how much extra it was, but I think it was reasonable and worth every cent.

5. niceness8000

Threads:
    At this time it's $7.00 per person. And they have changed it to where every individual who approaches the dolphin tank must purchase a tray of fish. If you have 5 people planning to go up to the pool, you must have 5 trays. It's still worth it in my opinion. You can't do anything like that anywhere else to my knowledge.

6. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Isn't that dangerous for the dolphins though? To have them in captivity and potentially overfeed them? I prefer going to the ocean when I can and hoping to catch a glimpse. I've swam with dolphins in the ocean, and it is an experience like no other.

7. niceness8000

Threads:
    The dolphins were born and raised at SeaWorld, or they were rescued. It's not dangerous for the dolphins or the peolpe. It's the adage that goes, "if you were to release these dolphins into the Wild, they would never survive on their on. They aren't "wild" dolphins, per say.