A Prolonging Pet...

Discussion in Pets started by classy_ally • Jun 12, 2012.

1. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I love my dog. She is my companion. When I take her outside to pee, she takes her time and sniffs multiple spots. She tips around like a diva until she finds the right spot. And when it's time for poo, she is even worse. It drives me crazy! I have had mostly male dogs all my life, this is my first female dog.

Does anyone else notice this behavior in their dogs?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We have an old basset hound that is a male and does the same thing. He takes his own sweet time doing his business and there is no way to speed him up. It can drive you crazy if you are in a hurry. I have decided that he wins this battle, though. There is nothing I can do but allow him to take his time.

3. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We have a female doberman that does the same. It is a bit irritating, especially in the middle of the night when my warm bed is calling me. There is obviously a reason for why they do that (not sure what) so I just patiently wait for her and let her get on with her business.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think that's pretty normal for both female and male dogs. Every dog I've ever had was very insistent on checking various parts before doing its business. Our current male dog insists on peeing repeatedly around various places so he can mark everything with his scent.

5. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    Thanks guys, I thought my dog was being prissy! lol!! I have no choice but to let her finish. I definitely don't want it on my floors. But when it is early in the morning, you are not feeling it.

6. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    This is normal behavior...some dogs are pickier than others when it comes to where they prefer to do their business. I have two male chihuahuas. They are both neutered and one goes pretty much the second his feet touch the grass while it can take the other one up to 10 minutes to find the right "spot". I guess it just goes to show that dogs, like their human counterparts, have different personalities and proclivities.

7. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    @classy_ally@classy_ally This is the way of dogs both male and female. I had one dog who had to sniff every blade of grass that we passed. They are peeing to mark their territory. If the bitch is on heat then they leave their scent for the males to follow. This is why they are sniffing a lot, they are checking out all the other hounds that have passed. They can tell how long ago it was that the hound may have passed too. Very clever! Dogs will often pee where another dog has peed or very near to it. It is like them leaving a message for the next dog, or the last dog that has passed.

Pooing is different. when they poo they want a place that's not been pooped on before hence sniffing to know if there has been another dog done his business before or not.

#7Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017