A Really Cute Corpse By Joan Heiss

Discussion in Product Reviews started by thatnewmommy • Jun 6, 2015.

1. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I read this book because I came across it at a thrift store and since my sister wants to read for pleasure I thought I'd start her off with something simple. I wanted to read the book first of course to see if i recommend. It's simple, but I never gave it to her. The story was okay, the main character (which apparently "stars" in more books) is kind of interesting but the story dragged. And it was predictable too. Maybe for younger kids who wants to start reading for pleasure but, I mean YOUNGER kids.

Has anyone read it or any of these Claire Malloy books?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have not heard of these books, but I do have some serious questions about the child appropriateness of a book that, by its title, has a strong emphasis on death and dying. I do not like how much of this death fascination is already in our culture and basically unavoidable, but I would not want my child reading something that has such a focus. It would make me concerned for the child's mental health.

3. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of them. But my youngest son is learning to read. I am always in the look out for more books for him. He tends to lose interest in what's he's reading, really quickly. Is it appropriate for children? My son is ahead of his class in reading skills, but he's still too young for a lot of material.

4. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    Well, I guess I should have clarified. Children to me is one things and this is not really a children's book. Younger kids who like reading and may want to go into reading for pleasure. I remember one of the first books I started reading for pleasure were by Agatha Christie and Christopher Pike. This is the audience I mean by younger kids, not children. And you know....death IS kind of a part of life. Maybe reading about investigating it may encourage them becoming FBI or something. LOL

5. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    My son is that same way. Kids are just so much harder to impress than I was. They are so calloused because of the violence on every television channel, that some of the things that would have given me nightmares. When my 10 year old son ( at the time) told me Freddy Krueger isn't scary, I can't be a very good and impartial judge of what they can and can't handle.

6. thatnewmommy

Threads:
    WHAT?!?!?! I'm old and Freddy still gives me the creepers!! LOLOLOLOLOL

As for the book, you may want to read it first and then make a decision on it. Honestly? It's a very short book which is why I thought it would've been a good starter book for my sister. It's a detective type of book not anything grisly. I mean, if he could handle Freddy (kudos to him btw) then he may be able to handle this. But again, if he can handle Freddy, he may be bored with this. LOL

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How young should the younger kids be? It would have enlightened my now-baffled mind had you provided a clear age range. Seriously, this book's title is disturbing and a little oxymoronic. If I recommend it to say a 10 year old, she might freak out and tell me she doesn't want to read about corpses because she's scared. I have my fair share of macabre readings so I might give this one a try to assess whether or not it's suitable for kiddy reading.

8. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Freddy was the scariest movie I had ever seen. I'm with you, it still gives me the creeps. At my age I won't watch it in bed. My son is a horror fanatic! But, again, he has me beat... In spades. He couldn't even make it through Halloween and Friday the 13th without getting bored. I'm 34 years old and he's 12. If I decide to scare him with something that gave me nightmares at his age, it shouldn't be hard to do.