A Simple Tip When Purchasing Items From Amazon

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dannyluke1 • Sep 2, 2015.

1. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    If you are going to purchase an item from the online marketplace Amazon, the price you pay will be affected by the shipping option you choose. For example, if you want the item to arrive at your doorstep in two days, you are going to pay $20. In four days, $30. In a week, $40. However, I’ve observed that sometimes it really doesn’t matter what option you choose, the item you purchased will arrive in the same number of days especially if you’re buying books. That said, always choose the lowest price as long as you don’t urgently need the item.

2. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I use Amazon Prime so I don't really know the struggle of Amazon shipping costs. But do costs really run up to $40? That figure seems a bit excessive, to be honest. As I said, I didn't know shipping costs could run this high. If you use Amazon often and are made to spend $40 for shipping, might as well use Prime. It provides faster shipping and will become economical after just 3 orders of $40 shipping.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll only buy stuff online if I'm getting free shipping. Lots of retailers actually use it as incentive to get you to buy from them [with conditions though]. Unless you have to buy something online when shipping fees are too high it's better to buy what you need from a local store.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit you have me somewhat confused - as apart from the fact that I normally find shipping rates generally increase - the sooner you require delivery rather than the other way round - as you mentioned.

Its also the first time I've ever heard of Amazon charging a shipping fee as excessive as $40 - in fact even though I don't have Prime and normally have to pay international shipping rates - although obviously the rate depends on the type of item and where it is being delivered to - I rarely ever pay much more than between $ 4 - $ 7.50 - which as my package then normally arrives somewhere between 3 - 5 working days - seems pretty good to me.

Which is why - I think you might be wise to double to check that the shipping fee is correct - especially as $40 does seem unusually high

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen some pretty high shipping rates, particularly for overnight shipping, which I almost never use, unless it's something like live fish. @gata montes@gata montes I think perhaps he mixed up the amounts and time frames, it sounds opposite to me, as well.

I can see large shipping costs such as those for furniture, but in that case, I would consider ordering from a company that offered free shipping when you spend over a certain amount, but make sure that large and heavy items are included in that offer before purchasing, because sometimes there are exclusions. I believe it's Wayfair that recently started offering free shipping on all large items.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, unless I was really desperate for an item, I would always use the lowest priced shipping option. I am really disturbed that they made the supersaver shipping option 35 dollars instead of 25 though. It is hard for me to get 35 dollars worth of items together. I always use gift certificates on Amazon and I don't usually have that many available.

7. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe it is on only certain things, because not to long ago i purchased some things that i needed to be here the next day and i only paid 3 dollars for next day shipping. But i have also recently purchased amazon prime i love it! With amazon prime you get free shipping on just about all your orders you get to watching movies and shows and unlimited music as well. It's 99 a year but so far it seems to be worth it. And if you order something that is prime you get free 2 day shipping. I have ordered quite a few things since i have signed up with Amazon prime and everything i have order has gotten to my home in exactly 2 days!

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that's an obvious "tip". The fact is that Amazon Prime members don't have to worry about that because they pay $99 per year (half that for students) to get items within 1 to 2 days, including on Sundays in larger cities. After making 15 purchases and paying for regular shipping without Prime, then you're already exceeding what you would pay for a Prime membership. It's the best option for anyone that orders more than a dozen things from Amazon per year. Using filler items to reach the free shipping threshold is a waste of time and money.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think most sensible people check out the shipping costs first because that does affect the total price. Some people do need things in a hurry and will pay, and for people who live in rural areas it can still be worth it if they live miles from a mall. So much depends on where you live and where the item is being shipped from in any case.

Heavy items like furniture you expect shipping costs and most items you can specify when you want them delivered anyhow. As for books, they are pretty much a flat rate or free so you shouldn't really have to weigh up the pros and cons with that these days.

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the things I buy online are digital goods, so no need to pay for delivery. Even though, I may buy some stuff from time to time as long as delivery is cheap or price or really low. I won't pay $20 $30 or $40 for an item that cost $5.

It's good to know this Amazon fact though. Thanks @dannyluke1@dannyluke1

11. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    As a college student, I have found this out the hard way plenty of times. For example, I did rush delivery recently on a book that I wouldn't have to use for half the semester, and I ended up paying big for it. Patience is a virtue for a reason, so I would not online order anything that you need immediately.

12. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    When I didn't have prime, I made sure my orders all qualified for free shipping (usually orders shipped from amazon warehouses totaling at least $35). It was often cheaper to buy something slightly more expensive but with free shipping than something that I had to pay for shipping on. Or if I needed something faster, I compared the price plus shipping with the price to buy locally. Often even then, amazon was cheaper.

I have prime now so I love the free two-day shipping and cheap 1-day shipping and don't really think about the shipping anymore except to tally up how much I save...and it's way more than a prime membership.

13. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I think you have a good point. I often choose the fastest shipping option because the free or lowest priced shipping said it took 10 days. However it never takes 10 days. You might as well choose one of the least expensive shipping options unless you need it by a specific day because chances are it won't take as long as it says to ship.

This is good to know around the holidays!

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too. I think having a bit of patience helps a lot in saving because often the items we buy online are ones we don't really need immediately since if we did we would probably just buy it from a physical store and be done with it in a day. I always choose the longer wait option because I don't think receiving my item a week earlier wouldn't really feel like that much difference to me, especially in the long run and especially considering that I'd have to pay more just for that one week difference.

15. tiffaninichole

tiffaninicholeMember

Threads:
    Yep. For those who frequently buy with Amazon will save SO much money with Prime. The price tag seems incredibly steep when you first hear it. But if you buy a few big-ticket items and use that free 2-day shipping, the price of Prime more than pays for itself. Sometimes items are even delivered on Sundays! I remember one time the mail lady came on a Sunday, and I was just amazed that I was seeing her on Sunday! LOL! I was like "But... but, it's Sunday." LOL.

So yeah, Prime is amazing and well worth the money.