Academy Sports and Outdoors

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by gmckee1985 • Nov 19, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Is anyone else a fan of this sporting goods store? I am. Personally I feel like they blow the competition away. Better prices and better customer service than Dick's Sporting Goods. They are similar stores in terms of what they carry but I would give Academy Sports the edge. I think they are a regional chain, located primarily in the South. So not everyone may have experience shopping in their stores. Feel free to give your feedback.

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I love Academy. Their prices are reasonable, but where they really excel is on their clearance sales. Their clearance prices are excellent. I always buy my exercise shoes and gear at Academy when they are on clearance. I didn't realize they were a regional chain. I always assumed it was nationwide. Well, I'm glad that we have them here in my neck of the woods.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    What part of the country are you in, if you don't mind me asking? And when do they usually have clearance sales? I haven't noticed any around here. Their regular prices are cheap enough for me. I do like to collect shoes so I'd definitely be interested in checking out a clearance sale on shoes if possible. As long as they are name brand and relatively new shoes, that is.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have always had good luck at Academy, especially on their shoes. My son plays football and over the past two seasons he outgrew his cleats 3 times! Academy came to the rescue with good shoes and great prices.

5. janetsjunk1972

janetsjunk1972New Member

Threads:
    I love Academy Sports! I totally agree they have better prices and a huge selection of just about everything under the sun. I'm in Charlotte, NC but I drive to one in SC about 30 minutes away. Their sale selections are pretty good as well if you don't mind looking for the deals throughout the store. I don't think they have a discount program (key chain tag) but their prices are lower than most stores like them, they don't need it. Two thumbs up from me for sure.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Another cool thing about Academy is that they often have signing events from professional sports teams. I've been to a couple of events there and gotten a few autographs, along with some free stuff. Not a bad deal. As far as prices go, I do believe Academy is at least competitive and probably cheaper overall than Dick's Sporting goods. Better selection too.