Acrylic Nails

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Rosyrain • Mar 17, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    It seems as though there are acrylic nail shops on just about every corner these days, at least where I live. I have had my nails done once and will never do it again. The chemicals smelled horrible and my fingers just felt very heavy. Do you ever get acrylic nails?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only ever had them once, in an attempt to stop me biting my own. It did work and I was able to grow my nails to a respectable length. That was around 12 years ago and I've never gone back to biting since.

They were really annoying though - besides feeling too heavy, they made it impossible to pick things up and typing felt pretty strange too.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have had acrylic nails done once and know someone who was having them done for awhile then stopped. Your right the chemicals don't smell good at all. The person I know who had their nails done this way found that the maintenance wasn't worth the trouble. She had to go in to have the nails redone every two weeks. This was costly and also time consuming. In the end she decided that having the nails wasn't worth the trouble.

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I used to get acrylic nails all the time. It was getting expensive so I learned to do them myself so I could save the money. In the end it was not the cost that made me quit, it was the damage it did to my nails. Underneath the strong acrylic my nails were as thin as paper.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    One of my friends actually got a nasty nail fungus one time because her acrylics were not done right. It took months for her nails to go back to being a white color instead of yellow. It really grossed me out. I like to have my own nails and just keep them polished so I am not tempted to chew on them. I used to be a huge nail biter.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to work in a nail shop, and yes, the smell is horrible. When I came out of a shop, I always got dizzy. Even though acrylic nails look beautiful, I just never understand why people like to ruin their natural nail like that.

7. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I love the way acrylic nails look. They can be so funky and different but the charm for me only lasts a few hours. After that my hands feel bogged down and really very heavy. I have this feeling that my hands are clamped shut. I just want to get rid of them.