Adopting Pets Is More Complicated Than Buying?

Discussion in Pets started by DrRipley • Aug 13, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently just looked into possibly buying a new pet and came across a service that would allow me to basically get a free one via adoption, and for a while I strongly considered it not only for the low cost but also because I was convinced that it was much more fulfilling since the pets were abused or abandoned and probably needed a home more than the pure bred ones that I assume we're being taken cared of completely.

However, upon reviewing the terms of the agreement I was really put off because apparently if I chose to go about it this way then I'd have to submit exterior and interior shots of my house as well as giving my incomplete identity and I'd have to agree to possible surprise visits.

I'm not exactly questioning their methods since they are the experts, but It made me wonder why it was so and if it was effective in getting these pets adopted since I imagine many would be put off as well considering we could just buy a much nicer pet for just a hundred dollars and avoid all the trouble.

Anyway, my question is does the adoption agencies in your country also do it this way? Does it out up you off as well like me or am I the only one that is having trouble with sharing that much information with pet adoption agencies especially considering most of them are independent and non regulated therefore probably not as secure and that there are alternatives that seem much better and easier?

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of this but considering the fact that these are animals that had been abused they probably just making sure that they are going to be safe in your care. Its nice to see an organization that cares but at the same time I think many people would be kind of put off by that. I don't know about buying an animal when there are so many shelter pets that need a loving home.

The fact that the agency is not regulated I would be considered about sharing too much information. I would just to an agency like your local humane society where there is more regulation and are not going to be as invasive as this organization appears to be. If you have such a thing in your area. Not sure which country your from but in the US they have humane societies where you can adopt a pet.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the adoption center wanting to make sure that you have a nice, safe home for the animal to live in. They are just trying to protect the animals that were previously abused. Just because you can buy a pet doesn't make it a "nicer pet". There are some beautiful animals in shelters who ended up there for various reasons. It's doesn't mean they're damaged or not good pets.
    Adopting a pet isn't as easy as buying, but at least they care about where the animals are being placed.

4. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Here is the main difference. Most pets for adoptions, either by shelters or agencies or rescue groups or even individual rescuers, are given for adoption so they can have a better life. The people who have the animals actually care for them and their well being. They must make sure that the animal will be in a good home. Because a lot of people with malicious intent lie to get free animals, they are strict in their interview and research stage and also always use an adoption contract.

On the other hand with buying there are basically 3 options, a certified breeder, a pet store or a backyard breeder. The process to buy from a certified breeder should be similar to adoption in that they usually care about the conditions the animal will live in and require a contract. But pet stores and backyard breeders (non licensed illegal breeders) only care about the money, not about the well being of the pet. So buying one is easier if you buy from those options.

The idea is if you are going to be a good responsible owner and have nothing to hide, then the adoption process shouldn't be too hard. If you don't like this particular adoption place check to see if there are other places. Search for animal shelters, those usually "put to sleep" unwanted pets so adopting from them is saving a life. If there are no shelters search for: sanctuaries, rescue groups, individual animal rescuers, animal lovers groups etc. Facebook is a great place to find such groups, sometimes there are groups like "Pets for Adoption" where people post the animals they have available. If you choose a shelter or rescue group the pet will most likely be already vaccinated, spayed/neutered and in good health. If you adopt a puppy from an individual rescuer or someone who had an unwanted litter you might have to cover those things yourself or not.

I strongly suggest you DON'T support backyard breeders. They abuse and exploit their pets for money and usually don't care about the well being of the mom or the babies. Also when you buy from them you contribute to the big problem of overpopulation of pets. Just imagine you buy a new puppy while hundreds or thousands are dying because no one wants them.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I think it's crazy too but I also understand it. Like other people said, they are cautious for a reason. They just want to be extra sure that the animal gets into a good home mainly because often times people are quick to give back the animal once they have a problem with them.
    It's mainly the rescues that are so invasive. If you're worried you're not going to be a good candidate then go to a shelter or find one that needs rehoming on Craigslist (Craigslist is where I got Lily) or see if there are some in your neighborhood through the classifieds or ask friends.