Affordable Non-digital Family Activites

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by DrRipley • Jun 2, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My family spends a lot of time playing video games and watching shows and movies so from time to time we like to take a break and get into some activities that don't require electricity or screens. Recently, we've been biking at different parks in the area, and the only real downside to that is that we needed to buy bikes that was a bit costly as an initial investment but it's still very much worth it. Another cool place we found is a restaurant / cafe that offers a wide selection of board games to be played by anyone who pays a flat rate, which can get a bit expensive but it's worth it for the experience of getting to try out many board games that I would never buy in the first place anyway.

Anyone else have any good ideas for inexpensive offline activities you can do with your family?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a backyard, or a close park? Even playing games outside can be nice, because that way everyone's getting fresh air. I have a ring toss game, as well as toss across, that we've used in the backyard. Someone in the neighborhood has one of those slip and slide things, and there's a grassy park down by the beach that they set it up on, and all of the kids can go use it. The adults do, too. Do y'all have fishing poles? That's another really popular option here, since the water is so close.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Card games can be great. There are thousands of card games you can play with kids and if they don't like any of them you create new ones . . . that's how good playing with cards can be. And you only need to buy the cards once. They're pretty inexpensive :)

Some ideas here:

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    There are some fun games you can play in your yard.
    Bean Bag Toss is a popular one at my family gathering as well as horseshoes.
    Croquette, lawn bowling and bocce are also really fun!

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I like hiking and put put golf. Children like activity and adventure. I like obstacle courses too, and you could make your own, have loads of fun, get great exercise and instill great lessons into your children.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family likes to have lunch, dinner and snacks together. We eat together a lot - it's basically become a habit over the weekend and during special occasions like birthdays, wedding anniversaries, Valentine's, Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day and the like. Another activity we enjoy is singing videoke/karaoke songs. We don't have the greatest of voices but we can sing our lungs out 'til the break of dawn. At times we visit animal sanctuaries and oceanariums.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    We like to go hiking as a family. We find new and different trails and walk or jog them. Just remember to bring bug spray with you. Then we'll have a picnic or stop along the way have a picnic lunch. The kids really enjoy doing this. Just pack your favourite sandwiches, cut up fruits and veggies, some granola bars and you have a fun lunch to eat outside without much money spent. It's a lot of fun and best of all no screen time. It's a wonderful way to learn about nature. The kids try and identify as many trees as they can, they'll collect a variety of leaves and come home and learn which trees they came from. If your trail happens to lead to a lake, try fishing with your kids. That is so much for the kids.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about you guys go window shopping? It's free and you can also get some exercise as you do it. And just simply chatting and bonding would also be a good alternative.