Air Bnb

Discussion in Travel started by BrandonScooterman • Jun 7, 2015.

1. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Few posts here about Air BNB service, but I am looking for people who have used the service and can give some feedback.
    Going to do some travelling on a tight budget later this summer.
    Are the savings significant? Is it safe?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used it as a host and a guest. I would not recommend a host situation unless I was there and I set down the ground rules strictly. It's hard to enforce them though as airbnb is supposed to be more laid back.

Each host is different, so it's hard to say and besides the reviews you need to contact the host and start up a dialogue. Many are busy so keep it brief as some can choose not to have you. It's not always cheaper and if you change your mind often there is no refund, that's the main issue. Maybe hostels might be better if you have looser arrangements? Many are as cheap and if you change your mind you can get a refund. I think airbnb is good for staying a week as that can be cheaper than other places and you can negotiate more.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Airbnb can be cheaper than traditional accommodations, depending upon the area and time of year. It's completely safe, as long as you know what you're doing. Beyond saving money, the main focus is convenience and getting more amenities or a better location than you would by staying in a hotel or some other location.

4. kristin

kristinNew Member

Threads:
    I have a room listed on the site and use the service when I travel. To make a long story short- they are safe and tend to be cheaper. To me, the beauty of it is that they have a lot more options. I have seen places in Paris that rent out a bed only for ten dollars. If you do not mind this arrangement and money is an issue, it is a great option.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have only recently heard about airbnb, but it sounds like something that I would use. I like the idea of having more staying options when I travel, especially when it is with my whole family. I like having a kitchen available for some of our meals, it saves a lot of money, and I think staying in someone's personal place would give us more of an authentic feel for whatever city we are staying in.