Airbnb, Dwellable, & Homestay For Traveling Rather Than Hotels?

Discussion in Travel started by ImariFutari • Jun 20, 2015.

1. ImariFutari

ImariFutariMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I've been traveling a TON this Summer - and that's basically thanks to hostel apps like Airbnb, Homestay, and Dwellable. If you haven't heard of these, they're smartphone apps that you use to connect with people that're willing to rent out rooms or entire homes for a price that tends to be much cheaper per week than per night at a hotel!

I found an entire apartment to rent in China for $100 per week on AirBNB - and I was tempted to stay for a month! Honestly, that'd end up being less than my rent per month at my old apartment in Seattle (and hey, this place looked nice). I ended up going for two weeks, and enjoyed my time there! The host was very friendly, and they were able to provide all the amenities you'd find in a hotel (plus a kitchen and laundry machines).

Anyway, have you used either of these 3 apps? Are there any apps that you think are just as good? Let me know!

2. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I never used any of those apps, to be honest I didn't even know Homestay and Dwellable, but Airbnb is certainly engaging and I am using the next time I go on vacation. $100 per week is super cheap, like that I can take longer vacations in different destinations...! :)

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apps are useful, but there are always risks involved in using these sites and there are horror stories. The main issue is getting things resolved takes time, unlike a hotel or inn where the manager can deal with things straight away.

I was an Airbnb host and the customer service when there are problems and issues is poor. I ended up losing money as a host through them so they can be good, but not when there is a problem.

4. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's not risk free because basically anyone can book for your place, but I understand they need to pay ahead? Using it as a customer is safer if we go to places that have been reviewed for another users, right?

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    If you are really cheap you can try the couchsurfing site! It does exactly what you would think it does.
    It's really neat the new services and sites that are coming out, game changing stuff.

6. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Couchsurfing is not exactly the same thing as Airbnb. I have a friend who received tourist in their couch for free, it's an interesting philosophy, but at the same time seems somewhat risky, especially when we are travelling with the family.

7. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have been so curious about Airbnb. I haven't tried it yet, but I've searched their app several times just looking at available options. I hadn't heard of the other similar services until now. I definitely want to try it out one of these days.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had been to China last January. We got our accommodation from online bookings. The Red Wall hotel in Beijing is a good one although a bit expensive. What's good is the free breakfast that is buffet style. They have complete amenities from tv to fridge, heater and hot water. I have nothing more to say except an excellent. I don't think an apartment of a homestay would be at par with that.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing is airbnb has caught on, but there are good hosts and bad hosts. Don't forget reviews can be faked, plus some can be made in revenge. I had one who threatened to give me a bad review if I didn't let him out of his contract (he booked for 5 months) because he found a mouse after a few months of living there. I can't be responsible for his living habits and mice happen in the city.

More hotels and inns are getting more competitive because of airbnb, but if there are no hotels nearby, then airbnb is a good option. I would still prefer an inn or hotel if I arrive late because you just want to relax rather than mess around and chat to people at times.