Aldi - Love Or Hate?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by janetsjunk1972 • Jan 21, 2015.

?

Do you love or hate Aldi?

1. Love

62.2%
  2. Hate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neither

24.3%
  4. Never shopped at Aldi before.

13.5%
  1. janetsjunk1972

janetsjunk1972New Member

Threads:
    If you have an Aldi where you live, do you like them or hate them? I've only shopped with them a few times and tend to only stick to the brands I know. When I've tried some of their branded items, they seem to be very salty or have an odd taste. Is it just me and my imagination or do you find this as well? You can save a lot of money by shopping with them and the small inconvenience of bringing your own bags & dropping a quarter for the shopping cart is worth it...however, some of the products just don't live up to my standards. Fruits & Veggies are usually your best bet and are good quality for the price.

2. Marie Stine

Marie StineNew Member

Threads:
    I love Aldi's! I shop there for most of my groceries. I can't stand paying $4 for a bag of chips when they are $1.69 at Aldi's. I don't really get any canned goods or processed foods though. I mostly stick to fruits, dairy, fresh vegetables, bread and chicken.

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have yet to shop there. My husband and I have started in the door several times and then turned around and gone back out because he gets so frustrated about the "buggy thing". I really don't understand that, as (armed with foreknowledge) before we even get that far I've already already taken care of the biggest issue--the "bag thing".
    Maybe we'll make it all the way in one day and see what it's really about.:)

4. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    Years ago, my Aldi was a Jewel T, and the products were terrible! I once opened a brand new box of cereal and it had bugs in it. That was it, I never shopped there again. I know it is illogical for me to pass the sins of Jewel T onto Aldi, but I fail to se the difference in the quality.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I used to go to Aldi all the time but now it seems their prices are comparable to those at our Walmart Neighborhood Market. There are a few items that are still less expensive, but if I were only going for those particular items, it wouldn't be worth my drive to the store. I will say, though, that their wine from their private collection is outstanding and a super value. We were blown away at how good it is and for only $4.99 bottle!

6. crackerjack9

crackerjack9New Member

Threads:
    There is an Aldi's near me and I shopped there for the first time not too long ago. I didn't see any brand name products, but I did see some great prices! I stocked up on eggs, butter, crackers, and other condiments and staples. You can't beat their prices, that's for sure! My friend shops there all the time. I know I'll be back again!

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aldi is great for certain items but I don't do all of my shopping there. I get my fruit and veg there, plus some cleaning products, as they offer the best prices in my area. I am not keen on the meat or the tined goods though, and buy these elsewhere.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I've been to Aldi a few times and I wasn't very impressed. The only real value items I saw there were a few decent cereal brands that are cheaper than other stores. I would rather just pay a little bit more for name brand products rather than go for the cheaper, inferior products that are available at Aldi.

9. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I have shopped at Aldi for years, and overall I am pleased with the products they offer. My favorite thing is the frozen 1 pound ground turkey rolls, which are only $1.89 where I live. We use this in place of ground beef for many meals, and it is way cheaper than ground beef or ground turkey available from other grocery stores. I still get some things at Walmart or other grocery stores because of personal preference and sales, but the bulk of my shopping is done at Aldi. The other nice thing about Aldi is their double money back guarantee. If you aren't happy with the quality of the item you bought, they will replace it and give you your money back!

10. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like Aldi's ! We are not close to the one here, so unless we are going out that direction; I just shop at Kroger, which is close.
    Aldi's has much cheaper prices on most things compared to other stores. You just have to remember to take along a quarter for the shopping cart. Since you get the quarter back when you return the cart to the line of carts, it doesn't really cost anything, it is just a nuisance to have to always have that quarter.
    I usually just make sure I have at least one quarter in the little change holder in my car, and then when I return the shopping cart and get the quarter back, I put it right back in the coin holder for the next time.
    Aldi's also has heavy-duty plastic bags that cost about 15 cents, and hold a lot of items. I have a couple of those and then when I get out to the car, I unpack the groceries and put them in the bags to carry in the house. I also have some of those heavy shopping bags that I keep in the car for trips to Sam's and Aldi's.
    All in all, I think it is a great place to shop, and I had no problems with their generic brands, they taste fine to me, and I just love the dill pickles there !

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we shop at Aldi's we mustly purchase the basics like eggs, sugar, cheese, fruit and veggies. I find that the size of the boxes are some what smaller than in the main stream stores. Some of the off brand food also taste odd to me also, not only at Aldi's but most store brand products taste strange to me.

12. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I love Aldi! I shop there every week. The only thing I stay away from is the processed, prepackaged, dry box type food. But I get all my eggs, butter, cheeses, chips, hummus, milk, yogurt, and german foods from there. I would argue that those products can at times be better quality than the stuff at other stores, as a lot of their fresh food is not overly processed or chemical laden. But I guess those are the type of products I specifically look for and pick out.

13. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    We have Aldi's here in New York and I don't like to shop there. I am a brand person so if I can not get certain things brand name I feel like I am wasting my time. I know thats a crazy thought, it should be about the savings right? We also have Sav-a-Lot and I actually like that store. I don't buy everything they offer but they are fine for some things like Milk and frozen foods, they are actually quite well stocked in frozen foods. Sav-a-Lot also carried very nice bread and baked good products that are fresher then what I have found at Tops or Wegmans.

14. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once you get around the no brand issue, you find that the quality is better than supermarket generic brands and much cheaper. Not everything, but pasta is pasta, tomato puree is the same. A tin of sweetcorn is 35p in Aldi and 42p as a generic in supermarkets and branded 55p and there is no difference except for the label. I don't get everything there but it's not bad, but you don't linger, you go in to get what you need and leave. Not a place to stay and have a coffee, but that isn't what it aims to do.

15. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    Another Aldi fan here! :D There is a bit of trial and error, as you learn which products you want to buy there. For example, I won't buy their peanut butter or shortening, but those items are rare. For the most part, I find the quality as good as name brands, if not better in some cases. And if comparing Aldi brands to other store's generic products, I will choose Aldi every. single. time.

This probably varies by region, but my local store recently switched to carts with two child seats. That may not mean much to some people, but with multiple little ones, I can say that has made my life much easier! To be honest, on the cart thing - I don't even always return them to the door. Gasp, I know. o_O But I can be on my way, and I look at it like paying it forward a little - for the next busy mom who whips into the parking lot and forgot her quarter or senior citizen just making ends meet.

I have had a couple quality issues in the past, but they have a double guarantee. Meaning they not only replace your product, but also refund your money. You can't beat that! Once, the specific manufacturer even emailed with me and sent me a large box full of their different products - easily five times what I had originally purchased.

I feel like Aldi is a quality brand that continues to improve. The old stigma is gone. It's time to give them another shot! :D

16. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Aldi and Trader Joe's are actually sister companies. We love it. I don't get everything there, but consistently the produce is the cheapest and often the freshest around, which is great. I prefer 3 buck chuck at Trader Joe's for cheap wine, and I tend not to buy meat at Aldi, but in general, it is my once a week staples stock up because even with coupons and sales, most grocery stores can't consistently beat their everyday prices.

17. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't know Aldi and Trader Joe's were related. Do you mean they are owned by the same parent company? I had no idea. Although it would make sense because both of them have a lot of cracker type products that are made in Canada. I notice that because for what ever reason many crackers manufactured in Canada do not contain corn syrup and other additives like many of the American manufacturers do.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to Aldi yet because the newer one that opened in my city is too far away.
    I live 3 blocks from a Super Walmart so I can't justify going miles out of my way for Aldi.
    If they open one closer to me, I'll definitely take a look.

19. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I adore Aldi. Although their supply is limited, the variety of new products keeps things interesting. The only thing I hate is when I find something I really like, but it's available for a limited time only :( other than that I have nothing bad to say about the store. It's saved me a bunch of money. The number of groceries I get from there for a given amount of money is significantly higher than even Walmart.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some reason I had always thought Aldi to be a British thing?? So I'm a little surprised to learn that there are Aldi stores in other countries. I guess I need to travel more lol :) Over here, people seem to be a little ashamed to admit that they shop or have shopped at Aldi. The prices are great though, and you can a great bulk shopping done.