Aldi confirms up to 100% horsemeat in beef products

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by suzeysplace • Feb 14, 2013.

1. suzeysplace

suzeysplaceNew Member

Threads:
    Did any of you hear about this on the news? I hadn't but found a news article about it online. I use to shop at Aldi quite often but haven't in the last 3 or 4 months. Although I usually find some great deals, that news article was kind of disturbing to me. What do you guys think about it? Does it make you trust the quality of products you could be purchasing when you shop there? I don't personally eat horse meat (that i have known of) and although this could be an isolated incident, it kind of makes me hesitant to buy meat products from this store.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do shop at Aldi's, it seems some of their supplies in the UK have added horse meat to the burgers.

I don't know if that will stop me from shopping at the store but I will think more than once about the purchasing of burger meat from Aldi's.

I do like the value Aldi's supplies to the consumer.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    This news is really surprising. The consumption of horse meat is common in some countries, but in this case it is a consumer fraud. I don't know what the consequences of this fact, but it's a story that created an uproar in the market. From now on, doubt accompany Aldi products. I live in Argentina, a country where meat is a food for every day and with a long tradition in the market but never had an experience like that with a product of this nature. Many people used to eat burgers are very impressed with the event but perhaps over time that detail will be forgotten.

4. Jwjo5

Jwjo5New Member

Threads:
    I am not sure what I would do with that information. I have never really investigated what exactly I eat. Like someone else said it is common for some countries to eat horse meat. Here in the states I don't think I have ever heard of it being common.
    Maybe I will start paying attention more! It is interesting what some countries call normal for them and what is normal for us. Everyone is different.
    We have guinea pigs for pets here at my house and some countries eat them.

5. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's why I don't shop at Aldi. although truth be told what's to really stop anyone at any store from adding weird additives to food.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I do a lot of shopping at Aldi, but I buy their fresh meat, not their processed meat products, so it won't affect my shopping habits. As a matter of fact, my husband and I have been saying for some time that we don't enjoy ready made beefburgers any more. Maybe we know have the reason why. I don't object to eating horse meat, but I want to be told when I'm eating it. I don't think we've heard the last of this by a long way.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My brother shops in Aldi and I shop in Aldi from time to time. What type of beef products are we talking about here? Minced beef or processed meat products like burgers and ready made meals? No wonder they are so cheap, sigh!

8. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    It's not just Aldi but a lot of supermarkets in the UK (Tesco, Asda, Lidl) have been reported to contain horse meat in their beef products. The only one I know which hasn't been reported to have horse meat is Morissons, as they have their own British abattoir. We regularly buy at Morissons as it's the only supermarket (other than Lidl) that is near to us. Good thing! :p

9. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I shop at Aldi. The sale of horse meat is illegal in the US, right? I'm pretty sure it is. I've never really thought twice about the meat I buy. I think it's much more common to find horse meat in Europe and Asia. Maybe even Canada. I can't remember exactly, but I think legislation was passed within the past few years to stop the transport of horses to Canada for slaughter for their meat.

10. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy meat at Aldi's or any regular grocery store, so I'm not worried. I do like Aldi's though, they always have good chocolate and some great deals on non-food products as well.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't blame Aldis at all. Like mentioned above, it's the UK suppliers that are getting all the crap about hiding it now. Aldis is likely innocent in buying from them without knowing that they've been using horse meat, too. At least they didn't try to hide it.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Supermarkets like Aldi are not innocent, they should know what they are selling to their customers, it is their responsibility. I'm not saying they are responsible for the problem but they should certainly take part of the blame.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well I don't shop at Aldi's to begin with but it always makes you wonder when things are THAT cheap. Yuck. :(

14. WitchyPop

WitchyPopMember

Threads:
    Would this be Aldi worldwide or just the UK and Europe where there seems to be a problem at the moment? I live in Australia and we can purchase kangaroo meat from our butchers and supermarkets but it is all well labelled so you know what you're buying! I don't personally buy it as I can't stand the smell of it but it is very low in fat so supposed to be quite healthy. I wonder how healthy horse meat is?

15. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say Aldi, has just came to Alabama in my city and I shop there all the time. I never get any meat there unless it is turkey meat(sandwich slices). This is the same thing they said Burger King had in their Hamburgers. I have to say I do not like the thought of eating a horse. Crazy because I love pork, I am not a big beef eater. I feel like if it is legal to sale the meat they should at least label everything correctly and not be deceiving. That is a bold move though to announce it and that is noble. That could be someone's personal preference in meat and now that it is on the market, I will not purchase it, but I will still shop there.

16. wolfpacklovin

wolfpacklovinNew Member

Threads:
    Now

is also having a problem with horse meat. Pretty gross.
    Also, I'm pretty sure they legalized the consumption of horse meat here in the US back in 2011, there's a lot we Americans are unaware of.

link:

17. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I like Aldis but I don't buy their processed meat. They have great prices on veggies and fruits.
    I hate the thought of eating horsemeat, for no real reason though.

18. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All meat is healthy providing the animal was raised on its natural diet. Humans are designed to eat meat.

To answer your question, it is an EU scandal at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if this was a problem outside Europe.

19. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    The extent of this "horsemeat scam" has reached Hongkong already as Findus are selling same stuffs to consumers there. makes you think if all we eat are all what it says in the packets..

20. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    What strikes me with this headline is the "up to 100 per cent" aspect.
    Well, gosh if it is up to 100 per cent then how can you call it beef?
    I mean gosh, traces, yeah okay, five percent well maybe, whatever.
    But up to 100 per cent, then there is zero per cent beef in the beef.
    There was a funny old ad on tv a number of years back for a burger chain, this old lady looks ticked off and glares at the camera and looks at the hamburg and says "where's the beef?' Yeah where's the beef.
    Ryder13