Aldi

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Faye1232212 • Sep 25, 2015.

1. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    Hi all! Recently I have been hearing of a lot more people frequenting Aldi. In the past however, people would shun it as if the food items in the store were subpar. This can't be farther from the truth on my opinion.

I have been an avid Aldi shopper for years. Most people do not know that it is a European company and originated in Europe (Germany to be exact). Because there aren't very many name brand foods there, people tend to think it isn't good enough.

What I've learned over the years however is that name brand doesn't always mean it's good. I have found so many good quality food brands there that aren't popular abd to my delight was even better than known name brands.

My question is does anyone feel that Aldi is good if not better than other grocery stores. Both price wise and quality if food?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always been pleasantly surprised by Aldi and the quality of the products. Even my mother who doesn't like Aldi shopping (she finds the store confusing) likes the products and the prices.

Snobbery of brands has declined since stores have been producing generic brands. With Aldi, it's word of mouth or to try the products. Some things can't really change like porridge or dried pasta, so why not swap? The risk is very low.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do like Aldi. I shop there when I can, although there is not one located close to my home however. I have found a store a bit closer to me that also has great bargains, so I am fairly happy shopping there. The biggest frustration I have with Aldi's is a limited selection, and some of their products are not that great...Their produce is good, but it is really hit or miss with many of their other products.

4. sissibombix

sissibombixMember

Threads:
    Aldi has some great products (I love their chocolate, and for the price I pay for it I love it even more) and some others that aren't that great. But in my opinion, it is still worth it to do some of your shopping there. I get some nice smoked salmon, german gummy bears and other products with brands that I wouldn't normally find and they're pretty affordable - sometimes I even find some home appliances, and those are really cheap! No name brands can be better than name brands (and are definitely better once you check the bill!)

5. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    My mom loves shopping here! Like the above commenter said, the chocolate is incredible for an amazing price. I swear she does at least half of her shopping here. All of the food is high quality at a very affordable price.

6. Faye1232212

Faye1232212New Member

Threads:
    Awesome to see that others shop here too! So glad you guys mentioned chocolate!! Their chocolate is delicious as a lot if it comes from Germany and we all know German chocolate is the best. The Haribo Gummi Bears, although sold in regular stores now, sends to taste better when I buy it from Aldis. Maybe negate it comes directly from Germany.

I'm not sure if you guys know about the Brand Deutsche Kueche which translates into German Kitchen , has some A1 authentic German foods. I bought some sauerkraut and spaetzle which reminded me so much of my hometown and grandmothers cooking in Germany. I can talk about the greatness of Aldi all day! Love it!

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I just went to get some tea and noticed a flyer for Aldi on our table, so I was browsing through it and saw that they are currently selling electric pressure cookers for only $39.95. That is a huge bargain since the cheapest I've ever seen them for was about $80-$90. They normally sell for $100-$120+. I'm assuming they only have a limited quantity of these but I'm tempted to go get one, since I've had my current one for over 5 years now.

I've been pretty pleased with the quality of their merchandise when I've shopped there. There was an issue a couple years ago where it was discovered some of their meat being sold as beef was actually horse meat, but that was really a fault of the meat distributor selling to them, not necessarily Aldi itself. Other supermarkets were also affected by that as well, but Aldi took the blunt of the media criticism over it. It was really their supplier who was the one lying, which can happen to any grocery chain.

8. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I go to Aldi's every now and then. They have a lot of good things in their store. They are not as expensive as other grocery stores which is why I like going to it. The products may be generic, but they are just as good as brand names products. When I want to save money, I will go to Aldi's. My only concern is the fact that the store isn't that close to where I live.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a fairly new one near me, and it's right across the street from Walmart Supercenter. I went in once, but the lines were prohibitively long, and they only had a few things I wanted, so I ended up just leaving, and going to Walmart, which is where I'd been heading when I decided to check out Aldi. I get the flyers, and the advertised deals are amazing. My question is, are all Aldi's small, and only carry certain items? I tend to prefer one stop shopping right now, but I was impressed with their prices.

I think the problem is that many are scared off from the brand due to the horse meat debacle a few years back.

10. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:

I think that Aldi's has some good quality items for good prices, however not everything they have is the greatest. I use to shop there but certain things like chips and cookies that I would get were stale and not very tasty. So I think Aldi's is good for somethings but I wouldn't do all of my shopping their. Maybe it's just the Aldi's here where I live but they don't always have the freshest items.

11. milyjohnson

milyjohnsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have gotten chips and cookies from Aldi's but they didn't taste stale. The ones I got were pretty good. I didn't try all of them, but I have had some of them and I never had a problem with them. You could be right about the Aldi's where you live. Maybe they don't get too many fresh items in their store. Then again, sometimes people stock items on the shelves that are old. I have seen that with some things in the Aldi's that I go to.