Ally online checking - no minimum, no monthly fee, and $9 overdrafts

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by vagabondmom • Jul 10, 2012.

1. vagabondmom

vagabondmomNew Member

Threads:
    I guess my title says it all. And the commercials are true... I really do love this bank!

I've had an account since 2010. They saved my life when I moved away from my old bank and I was looking for something online. The only downside for me is that they don't offer business checking. Even though they're only online, I can still scan in checks I receive at home and have them deposited. And I think the $9 overdraft fee is fair and sensible. Thankfully I've only had it happen once.

Their CD and IRA products are also rated highly. I haven't used them but plan to once I get my emergency fund finished. I don't get anything for talking about them. I just wanted to say it's a good place to look into - especially if you're paying a monthly fee right now and live in fear of overdrafts like I used to.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking about changing banks and was considering a local credit union. I'll check out Ally now as a possible option, too. It would be a little odd though to not have a local branch to go inside. I do most of my banking online now so it might not be such a bad idea. Thanks for the information.

3. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard so many good things about Ally, I couldn't believe it at first. Though I may end up switching over if I ever need a different option. It'll be a bit weird adjusting to not going to a physical location to deposit checks, but I'll adjust.

Though no monthly fees, no minimum, and no fees on ATMs worldwide! Holy crap, I'm almost sold! The only downside to this is that they say on their site that you can't directly deposit cash like at a physical bank. Sucks, but maybe you can just give the money to a trusted friend and have them write a check for the same amount for you to mail into Ally.

4. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have been considering changing banks. Thanks so much for the input on this bank. This was very helpful!