alternative to cat litter

Discussion in Pets started by alahnna • Mar 4, 2014.

1. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    A few months ago, I went to go purchase some more cat litter as I was getting low. On my way through the cashier, she shared with me an idea that she had been told and I decided to try it. It works amazingly so I thought I would share it.
    Instead of using store make cat litter, I use wood pellets for a pellet stove. Here, the big 40KG bag is only 5 dollars. Our 20KG bags/boxes of cat litter at at least 10 dollars. It's biodegradable so I'm not harming the environment with harsh chemicals and I can just dump it out in the back woods. The cats didn't even care when I changed it. Since I have switched, I have not had any cat pee/poop smell at all, it is all absorbed into the wood. When the cats pee on the pellets, they litterally disintegrate into sawdust. I am so glad that cashier shared this with me. Not only have I saved a bunch of money, but my house smells better too!

2. Mina

MinaMember

Threads:
    I knew they use wood pellets for chicken, or maybe that's another thing, but I didn't know you could use that as cat litter. That's amazing, it's going to expensive once everyone starts catching up!

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a great idea! Some friends of mine used to buy some type of absorbent natural paper that had been through a shredder, soaked in water and then dried again. I thought it was great stuff since it could be used in the garden. They added it to their compost heap, as it was completely organic. But I can't remember what the name of the product was or how much they paid for it. I think it definitely cost more than your wood pellets, as the shops tried to market it as "organic cat litter". Anything with the "organic" label immediately costs a whole lot more around here.

4. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    Dora, I think the product you are talking about is call "Yesterday's News". They tend to recommend it for cats who don't like the clay or sand litter and I know they also use it in the veterenarian places down here for the cats who have just had surgery so they won't get the clay in their incisions. I remember our vet recommending it when we got our cat declawed years ago, so it would not be so uncomfortable on her paws. We ended up just shredding a bunch of newspaper ourselves because the "Yesterday's News" was pretty expensive for a small bag.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this information that can save money for the many cat owners out their. I really hate the smell when I go into a house that has cats. This is something I maybe interested in, it will let me get a cat.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure exactly, but some people might use stand instead. The problem with that is that it doesn't clump, and if your cat does any sort of urination in it then you're in for a giant and hard to clean mess. In general I'd just stick with cat litter, even if all you can afford is the cheap brands.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a good idea! Plus traditional cat litters have that dust that can be annoying. Years ago when I had cats I found a brand that was made from recycled newspapers and that worked pretty well. Less smell as well.

8. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    That is a fantastic idea. I usually like to use to pine litter. It lasts a long time, clumps up the pee, and cuts down on the smell. But it can be very expensive in stores. I very thought of the idea of using wood pellets. Thank you so much for this idea.

9. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    That is a pretty neat idea, so thanks for sharing. I wonder if my cats would take to the change or if it would bother them. I usually just use regular cat litter, but I buy the cheapest kind. I prefer to dump the whole box more often rather than buying the more costly litter and just scooping. Anything to keep the smell out of the house -- I love my cats, but their butts really stink!!