Alternatives For Cow Milk

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Sep 25, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried a bunch of alternatives for milk and I love most of them but I still like using regular milk for my cereal and coffee. Soy and almond milk are great for me on their own but I usually put a bit of sugar on them first whereas I can drink cow milk on its own. I'm wondering if there are any other types of milk that I can try out which you guys have tasted and would recommend. I'd personally recommend almond and soy milk and if you're health conscious I'd recommend just getting the regular variety and maybe just sweeten it on your own so you could use as much or as little sugar as you want, or you could even do it like I do which is to just add artificial sweeteners instead.

What other milk types do you guys like aside from cow's milk?

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    Coconut milk is pretty good. I don't think it tastes too much like coconut. They make a vanilla variety of coconut milk that is the one I personally prefer. I like it better than almond milk. Honestly, I still prefer cow milk most of all. I usually go for the skim variety when I drink cow milk.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy cow's milk, but I also buy a big can of Nido powdered whole milk for cooking. A huge can of powdered whole milk just used for cooking and recipes can last 3 months and costs just $9-$12.
    That way I save the expensive cow's milk for drinking and cereal.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still drink goat's milk. I will never drink straight cow's milk again. It's gluten free and it still has a sweet taste. The only problem with it is when you get down to the bottom, it is chalky.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am lactose intolerant, so I never touch cow's milk. I like soy milk but find it a bit heavy on my digestion at times. My favourite type of milk is nut milk, either from almonds or hazelnuts, sweetened with a little bit of agave syrup. I also like milk made from quinoa and spelt, especially with natural cacao and a hint of vanilla. Another favourite is sesame milk, that I make at home in my blender. :)

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm lactose intolerant. I haven't touched cow's milk in many many years. Almond milk is my primary milk substitute. I also drink rice milk, but it's "thinner" than almond milk. I have been reading that homemade almond milk is so much healthier than the store bought stuff. I just haven't made the time to give it a try.

I have noticed that there several cow's milk and dairy free options available. Hemp milk, flaxseed milk and I even saw oat milk on the shelves earlier this week. I would love to try hemp milk.

7. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Have you tried the flavored almond milks? They are pretty sweet. I like to drink the vanilla kind every once in a while but most of the time I prefer the almond milk plain. If I want to sweeten what I'm eating up (cereal, granola, etc.) I'll add in some fruit.