Amazon Drones?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by ohiotom76 • Dec 8, 2013.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon has been all over the news lately with their announcement that they are working on shipping orders via flying drones. All novelty aside, I'm kind of shocked that they consider this a viable option for shipping orders. It would only be a matter of time before someone starts hacking them to re-route the shipments, or perhaps go even more lo-fi and start shooting them down or grabbing them with butterfly nets. I could see people not only stealing the contents of these devices, but the devices themselves left and right.

Would you have your orders shipped via one of these?

2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Agree with you, the risk of delivering good using drones strives in the hacking attempts they will suffer overtime.

They may have GPS systems or satellite tracking, but I would not rest assured my order will arrive properly (if ever arrives) if Amazon tells me that it will be delivered using this service.

I really dislike the idea no matter how innovative it looks like.

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    All I have to say about this is that a lot of people will have missing packages.

This is one of those gimmicks that may be the "future". Though, the future isn't here so why rush this technology in this era of uncertainty.

4. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. I wouldn't want to see a shipping method such as that. Too many packages would go missing. There is no way that would work. There is not a single part of me that likes that idea. If somehow that did happen, I wouldn't be shopping from Amazon again. It would be a shame, too, because I buy so much from Amazon. It's an interesting idea, just a very, very bad one.

5. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I can only see the negatives really with this idea. The chances of these drones making them a profit/saving them money on delivery is so small. As mentioned above, they are going to get damaged, stolen, broken, hacked, etc. On top of that, surely the delivery coasts are going to be really high, especially if what they say is true - 'get your package within 1 hour of ordering..'

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If they're smart enough to create these, I'm sure they're smart enough to come up with possible consequences and get to work on avoiding them lol. They aren't due to get to work for some time.. plenty of time to think of ways to keep them in the air and on towards their destinations. of course, there will probably always be a way around it to take over the packages.. but your average joe won't be able to and how many people are going to want to hack into a drone for some books? lol How many would they have to hack without getting caught before they get something they want? Is anything on Amazon worth the trouble and legal action if caught? lol. Doubt it. Let the dummies shooting down tech packages go to town.. if a few extra bucks is worth it, it's up to them.

7. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I think it is a neat idea. I hope they can get it to work. This might bring Ohio some jobs, if we get lucky. However, I too see the flaws in this. You have to ask how secure this is, and how feasible it is as well. If it works it could be great, however, you have to realize there are humans who might exploit the technology. They are a big company, with a lot of money. So, if anyone is going to try it, it should be them.

8. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea, and just the fact that someone is trying to make some new changes to the delivery systems is what's really interesting here. Hopefully Amazon will try to take some precautions against it, but 'Drone Hunting' is probably going to be a weird new trend that'll blow up.

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Well those are some great steps that the company is taking. It will be much easier for the packages to be delivered more faster and on time. No more shipment delays as before. Lets wait and see if it will be possible.

10. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    While this would be really cool to have orders come to your door that quickly, I hate to imagine what shipping would cost. I would not be willing to pay an extra $30 or $40 for convenience rather than waiting. However if it came free with Amazon Prime then maybe, it all depends.

11. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    A little bit of an update in 2015...

It seems that this is finally happening soon, probably in early Q1 of 2016. I am excited about this but there seems to be still concerns within the majority of consumers on how fast will drones be able to deliver, and whether they even can deliver their products in 100% condition.

Pricing appears to also be another concern as drone shipping will probably be an option for expedited shipping. But it really depends on how fast you want your items to be delivered. For orders that are more worth however, I believe simple expedited shipping will do.

It's definitely exciting to see what the future holds with these Amazon Delivery Drones.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There'll be chaos in the skies . . .

I can't wait to see how this works but I'm sure there'll be lots of kinks to iron out before they perfect their drone delivery. It wouldn't interest me though if the cost of shipping will be way too high. Better to order an item you need and have it shipped the "normal way" if you really were after saving money.

13. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I believe there have already been instances where people have been knocking them out of the sky to try get whatever the drones are carrying. It's kinda terrible!