Amazon or eBay?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by eagle22 • Apr 9, 2014.

1. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Obviously a lot of us here are all about saving money in any way we can, so my question is how many of you prefer shopping on eBay over Amazon? I used to ALWAYS shop on Amazon, but lately I have been realizing that I am getting some really good deals on eBay. Anyone else noticing this?

2. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I use both myself. I can always get good deals on cheaper hardware, like thumb drives and usb devices on ebay from reputed buyers and the shipping is usually free.

3. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Mostly I use Amazon myself. I don't really have the patience to sit and wait on bidding wars, so I prefer just being able to click one button and have the thing already sent to us. It's much easier that way.

4. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I just love Amazon. It's more trusting for books and certain things like that. But then because I am a massive clothes lover I always go to ebay to try and pick up some bargains! :)

5. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I mostly use Amazon, though I occasionally buy from ebay. Even though the products on Amazon are obviously coming from a wide variety of sellers, for some reason I feel more reassured about the quality of the product when it comes from Amazon because you do not deal with the original seller directly. I think both have great deals and are generally legitimate sources, though.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon is more trustworthy but since everything in life involves taking risks, I prefer buying my stuff on ebay because the used stuff they sell there is much cheaper.

In fact, if you're interested in ebooks, on ebay's half.com you can get a book for as low as $0.10. Tell me if you'll get such great bargains on Amazon.

#6Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Neither. Buying stuff online means using virtual money. That's great, if you can keep your real money away from your virtual money. My virtual money costs me more than my real money.

If you can easily turn your real money virtual (and vice-versa, I guess), the best deal is ... eBay, if your connection is quick enough to start bidding quick, and if you're the highest bid while the bidding's still "low"; Amazon if you want a fairly-good deal (usually--I think--with free shipping) and--as mentioned above--you don't want to deal with the 'bidding-war.'

Plus, Amazon has a pretty-popular affiliate program (4.0% commissions, and higher if you sell enough), where you can use Indvidual Product Links, build your own A-Store (basicly an Amazon-hosted page full of your affliate-linked book/product-ad-widgets linking to fuller descriptions) & affiliation with some of their specialty stores. I haven't seen eBay's affiliate-program; do they have one?

Depends. Is half.com run on the same sort of bid-war scheme as eBay? Is the $9-savings worth the stress? worth the cost of a speedy-ISP?

8. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends really. You can get books on amazing for as low as that, it all depends on what you're looking for really. And do you have to sit and bid on Half.com or do you just buy it straight away?

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Because I have free 2-day shipping with Amazon Prime, I pretty much exclusively use Amazon. Really, the only time I use Ebay is if I'm looking for an item I can't find on Amazon.

I think both are pretty reliable and you can find good deals on both. Just a matter of knowing where to look.

10. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon Prime is such a godsend. And thanks to my student account, I get it absolutely free. Nothing beats it!

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ebay is ok and I recently discovered they can actually ship things to you faster sometimes. However, I feel safer at Amazon because you don't have to worry about scam sellers. The main reason I use Amazon more though is because that's what most of the reward sites have for gift cards. It's rare to find an Ebay gift card so if I'm using actual money I will probably compare prices.

12. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have become an Amazon addict :) I get a lot of Amazon gift cards tho so that does help with my decision. I feel comfortable with Amazon and have ordered items a few times even when I didn't have any Amazon gift cards. For ebay, I never really got into the whole ebay thing. Years ago I had looked at a few items and honestly they were cheaper to get at the store since I didn't have to pay for shipping at the store. But in all fairness, it was years ago and they were popular items.

Maybe I will look at ebay again one day. But to choose right now, Amazon would get my vote. They do have just about anything and I can buy it right away and get it shipped right away. If it is fulfilled by Amazon (and not the original seller), I get it about 3 business days after ordering (standard shipping) because I am not real far from one of the distribution centers.

Amazon usually has great deals too. For example: I got a part for a car from there for $24.95 plus shipping (if it was $35 or more shipping would have been free.) The local junk yards wanted $40 for this part and that was off of a junked car and very used. Amazon sold me this part brand new for the $24.95, which really only cost me $4 altogether because I had gift cards. The local parts stores wanted over $50 for this part. I got the part within 3 days of ordering and saved a bit of money. Worked out for me :) I love Amazon!

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I very rarely use eBay these days. It's usually amazon, but I do occasionally get stuff of eBay if there is a good deal, but that is probably only 2 or 3 times per year. Amazon has a good enough used section anyway

14. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Even though I purchase things from Ebay occasionally, I do prefer Amazon. Their customer protection policy extends to third party sellers as well. I've had a problem where an item I purchased through the marketplace did not arrive. Amazon fully refunded me without a problem. So I do feel safe buying from them. Plus I get gift certificates from doing various online tasks and whatnot. Regardless to say, that doesn't mean I don't shop from Ebay. Sometimes they have great deals on there that are worth checking out. So I feel that it's mostly a personal preference.

#14Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  15. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    Amazon with ease. Never had a problem with purchasing or delivery. Most of the time, even with regular ground shipping, my products come before the expected date by 2 or even 3 days. Can't tell you how many times I almost paid extra for fast delivery when the normal method got items to be just as fast (of course it depends on what you get and the location). That and because of how reputable the site is for quality orders. I'm accustomed to the good service and the deals are good enough for me. Just click and send it to me, as someone said above.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only shopped on Ebay so far, and I have received all of my goods, except for those 3 items that were stolen in our local post office. The items from Ebay Chinese sellers mostly offer free shipping, so it's quite cheaper to shop there as compared to Amazon. I intend to shop in Amazon one of these days though, because the item that I want is available there.

17. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using Amazon lately and I do like it more than Ebay. I had been buying few stuffs for my baby including short stories for her from the same seller so I'd rather stay where my trusted seller is selling at :D

18. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    eBay has a lot of cheap stuff but I prefer Amazon. I think Amazon is more secure when it comes to their products compared to e-Bay. I had friend who ordered a very decent PC from e-Bay once and when it was delivered some parts are missing and it's not what he ordered for a lack of better term. But I do purchase items on e-Bay sometimes but I still prefer Amazon.

19. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    Exclusively e-bay for the simple reason of Amazon not sending items to my country of residence, although I would like the option to shop on both sides, since Amazon has some great deals, and getting around e-bay can be a bit tedious.

20. siyasharmak2

siyasharmak2Banned

Threads:
    Both are best according to me.