Amazon Prime Increase

Discussion in Online Shopping started by nwitt • Mar 23, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Will you continue to pay for Amazon Prime, with the increased pricing? It used to be $79, but will now be $99. With many costs going up, it makes sense that it costs more to ship and provide transportation...

Thoughts? I don't currently have a membership, but I don't think I will be getting on.e

2. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    You're kidding! No, I won't pay $99 for Amazon Prime. The videos they had available started off pretty good, but as time went on, they all got dropped. It's not worth it, in my opinion. I think even Netflix would be better, if you're just looking for entertainment.

3. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    It will have to come down to a balance of what is available and what the cost is. I would go for Netflix even if it has less content. It just means I will have to find my entertainment elsewhere, besides movies.

4. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I don't think that the movies included in Prime are worth it. I'd rather pay for Netflix myself. On top of Netflix, I will rent 1-2 Redbox movies a month, if I'm looking for something newer. Of course, I wish both sources had newer movies - but who doesn't!

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well Amazon Prime isn't just about movies, it's also about free shipping on most of the items on the site. If I was a frequent Amazon shopper that placed orders every month, it would still be worth it to me. But I don't shop on Amazon as frequently as I used to because I'm on a tight budget, so at this time, Prime isn't worth it to me. It's funny how people compare it to Netflix when the main focus was supposed to be free shipping and the movie service was added later on.

6. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I signed up for Amazon prime because the free two day shipping (though not really free) was too tempting. I'm going to make use of the free ebook borrowing too and find out what other benefits it has to offer. I'll keep Prime as long as I'm ordering things from Amazon.

Apparently the ebook borrowing is limited to one per month and you need an actual physical kindle. Lame.

I'm still a bit indecisive about it. If I cancel then I might want to order something and be like I should've kept it. I'm doing most of my shopping online now. If I'm not able to justify the price I'll cancel of course.

#6Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I did a trial of it previously but won't be renewing it. I would have to purchase things through Amazon a lot more frequently for it to make a big enough difference to me. That's going to come out to be probably 8-10 Amazon purchases in a year for shipping prices and I don't think I actually buy that often from there. And I never use their video on demand section, so that doesn't get figured in at all.

8. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard about this change and I think it's a terrible idea. It's almost like they want to drive away plenty of their customers with such a steep price hike. What are they thinking? They're not Netflix and yet they want to charge more? It is not much higher than the price Netflix asks for, but I believe it's $8.25 per month if you were paying on a monthly basis. Still, I would rather stick to Netflix that has their own original shows and enough titles to entertainment me with. I was going to give Amazon Prime a test run, but no point in doing that because I have made up my mind not to subscribe.

9. ductypu

ductypuNew Member

Threads:
    Wow, I think this is the first time that I've stumbled across actual news on a forum, before I've heard it somewhere else, haha! With all of the success that Amazon had this past holiday season, I can't believe that they're strapped for cash. Though, it should be said that they recently started offering those streaming services that everyone with a prime account can access (Though it seems that many don't know, don't care.) Maybe they're planning on expanding their library in a hopes to get people to choose between them and Netflix, that would actually make a lot of sense. Anyway, if that were the case, on principle, I'd take my business elsewhere-- Amazon already has enough mouths feeding it.

#9Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  10. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't sure about paying $79 for Amazon Prime, but definitely not $99. I do order from Amazon often, but I haven't spent enough on shipping in a year to benefit from it personally. That and most of the time if your order is over $35 and everything you ordered is directly from Amazon, your shipping is free anyway. I never looked into it enough to realize they have movies too, but not sure that it make me want it. We don't currently subscribe to any of the movies services.

I do understand them increasing the price a little tho, I am sure that the cost of shipping has gone up for them over the last couple of years.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's my reasoning, too. Most items that are eligible for Amazon Prime shipping are also items that are eligible for free shipping if you buy more than a certain amount anyway.

I don't frequently by single items and prefer to buy multiple items at once, so this works out fine for me. I had access to an Amazon Prime account for a while, but they never had any of the movies I wanted to watch, so that part wasn't very helpful for me either.

12. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I had prime from January 2013 to January 2014 and I seemed to benefit it from a lot. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, and in that 1 year period I purchased 43 items. 37 of these items were delivered to me with Amazon Prime, so I would say that it worked out well and saved me money. Now that they have this video stuff too, I would be tempted to renew.

13. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, I think it depends how much you shop online. If you're buying stuff on Amazon every week and taking advantage of the 2-day shipping, then I think it's well worth it. Even only watching a few TV shows or movies would make the price a good deal.

Thankfully, I have the Student Amazon prime membership which is half off.

14. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Everything is going to get increased the thing is its necessary to be decent in terms of the pricing that we normally see so yeah that is the way how it is and at the same time if Amazon is increasing something that is reasonably an increase because they are good at their statistics so that they can help someone with making things better.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a membership for one month, but cancelled because I didn't think it was worth it... I didn't think it was worth it for $79, so for $99 I only think it's ok for someone who buys and uses Amazon a lot.

16. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I had a membership with Amazon Prime but decided to not renew when it expired in August. I don't buy much from Amazon anymore so the 2-day shipping wasn't a big loss for me. I really only used it for the Amazon Instant Video because I got the Amazon Prime videos for free with my membership. At the time I had Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I would have kept Prime but there was too much overlap with what was on the streaming sites. I still have Hulu and Netflix since the each have different shows and movies for viewing.

I didn't really think that the increase was worth it. Twenty dollars doesn't seem like a large amount of money when spread out over twelve months, but it's a major increase when you have to pay all at once. Maybe if they offered a monthly plan I would reconsider and rejoin. Probably not at this point.

17. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I was actually thinking about getting it for the kindle library thing, and the free shipping. I don't buy enough things for it to be worth the 99 dollars though. The only time I order anything on Amazon is for a birthday or Christmas or if I just cant find what I want anywhere else. I didn't know there was a limit on the books that you could get with your kindle so that would be another reason I probably wont get it .

18. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I really like Amazon prime. I have only had it for a few months but it's great so far. I order enough from there every month for the membership to be worth it. Plus on top of that, you get free tv shows and movies. If anyone is interested in a 6 month free prime trial, PM me.

19. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I definitely will not be continuing it. I was honestly hesitant as to whether or not buying it for $79 was going to be worth it for our family but I can say without a doubt that it is not worth $99 for us. Their selection for instant TV and movies has gone way down, there are still plenty of things that prime shipping will *not* cover and honestly we're ordering less on Amazon these days than we used to anyway, and overall they just don't have nearly enough included in prime to make it worth a hundred dollars to me.