Amazon Selling Fake Stuff?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Denis Hard • Oct 10, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon may be a reputable company but not all sellers are honest individuals. From time to time complaints have surfaced about people having bought designer clothes that had fake [designer logos].

Question is, do some sellers actually manage to sell fake stuff on Amazon?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. There are plenty of places selling knock offs. Clothes, bags, makeup, skin care. Every category has it's popular brands and there are places that duplicate and sell to both the scammer and the naive distributor. They're everywhere. Always look into how to tell a knock off from the real deal.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am not surprised that there are sellers dealing in fakes on Amazon. Like JosieP said...they are everywhere. I still think that there are a lot more to be found on eBay than on Amazon but ultimately, it is up to the buyer to choose who they purchase from. Like the old saying goes..."Let the buyer beware".

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think Amazon also sells fake stuff, I was reading several negative reviews about this "genuine" cellphone battery that seemed to be not genuine after all. I think that when in doubt and to be safe, you should always purchase directly from the manufacturer to avoid purchasing the fake ones.

5. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    When Amazon started having sellers just like in eBay instead of solely selling all items I knew it was downhill from there. Although the sellers have ratings you just can't be certain. There are a lot of really good copies of products from clothes to electronics to perfume. Also when it comes to used goods it could malfunction next week, next month or 2 months from the purchase date and then what would you do. It just taints the whole company in general when independent sellers misbehave.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    WOW! I had no idea about this, this is the first time I have heard anything like this about Amazon. I guess you just have to be very careful on any online shopping sites. I haven't had problems with Amazon but there are some things I won't buy I rather buy in physical stores.

7. MizzDeeDee

MizzDeeDeeMember

Threads:
    I haven't really had this issue with Amazon. I don't know if it's because I've got lucky, or it's because I research any item I purchase there.

When I order from Amazon, I always read the reviews. If I see something that's off, I don't buy it. I do agree with the other posters, though. There clearly are fake items on Amazon. People aren't always honest, that's for sure.

8. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I have the same approach as MizzDeeDee. I ensure that I do thorough research about the item before I purchase it, and I always try to read the reviews. I have my way of detecting whether a review is fake or not. If I don't trust the reviews then I listen to my intuition, and don't bother to buy the item at all. Of course, there are going to be sellers that give knock-offs and fakes, which is why it's important that you do the research before purchasing the item.

9. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    That is why you should always review the places you buy before you purchase anything. It never happened to be, fortunately, but that is because i spend my time comparing places and prices before taking the final decision.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Guys, reviews don't always work. I need reviews as much as the next girl, but only when it comes to how well the product works or fits etc. MANY MANY and I'd actually go as far as to say MOST people don't know a knock off when they see it. Depends on what it is. Usually they see a great price for something and they think they were lucky to find such a deal. I've seen knock offs first hand.. I've dealt with their manufacturers and suppliers and the differences are so tiny, only the people who held the original in their hands on a regular bases could tell. If then.

11. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly can't trust gay nor amazon just because their items always have that fake agenda attached to them. There are many individual sellers TNT will say and convince their buyers into buying something off their website weather it is just by giving a free gift or lowering the price a tad. I still wouldn't trust it because if its too good to be true then it is.

12. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to go ahead and defend the scoundrels by saying, if people are "buying it" (the lies and the items) then why not? Consumers drive commerce, not the other way around. Too bad we live in a world that believes commerce is driven by the creators or the advertisers. Sorry people, but you get what you pay for, and if you are dumb enough to even think that purchasing authentic designer anything, sight unseen, is a good idea or a good deal, I'll be the first to say, you deserve it.

Sorry.

Reality.

I have to admit that Amazon, for certain things, has been one of the best re-sale opportunities on both ends (buying and selling). Textbooks? Books in general, really. It is easy and convenient and despite the super high commission, it still makes a lot of sense if price and convenience are your top priorities.

Sure, Amazon and Ebay (et al) have a quality commitment that they owe to their users, but the Internet is quickly becoming the most difficult thing on earth to police. You want that crap off Amazon? Stop buying it. (Or, keep your parents and grandparents and kids off the Internet, because these are the primary culprits of Internet fraud.)

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree to an extent. People should be doing their homework and most people would rather get the deal than find out if what they're buying is legit or not. Ignorant bliss is rampant these days. So is it naive or dumb? I actually know quite a few very naive people who would honestly believe these are just great finds.. people don't always expect to be lied to so no.. nobody deserves to be ripped off. Dumb or not. Most people don't like being lied to and the lies are what's making it so hard to figure out what to spend our money on. And I'll have to disagree about the advertisers/industries not creating the demand.. I watch them create demand where it wasn't all.the.time. That is their job. To laugh at us, all the way to the bank. That ignorant bliss makes it just soooooo easy for them.

14. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have not bought off of Amazon but I know people always say you can get a deal there. Maybe that is the lesson, if it seems to good to be true....better safe than sorry and like the threads say, do your homework.

15. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is legit. I have bought a lot of stuff from there (some in the too good to be true category) and never had any issues. Once I had to return a book but even then I got a quick refund.

Simply put you have to be careful when buying stuff. Buy it from trusted sellers or buy stuff that is amazon fulfilled. If you go in blindly you'll get ripped off. Thaat's just how the internet works.

16. hbmm

hbmmMember

Threads:
    Can anyone just sell something on amazon?

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that is actually Amazon selling the fakes, I think it is Amazon Marketplace sellers. There are many individuals and business that sell on Amazon, so it's not necessarily Amazon themselves that are selling junk. When I'm unsure about an item, I make sure it is "sold by Amazon" not "sold by China4U and fulfilled by Amazon".

18. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    For this reason, I try to buy items that have had many reviews. I then go to the review section and read the 1 2 and 3 star reviews. Most of the time, if its fake or poor quality, you'll see it said there. However, when it comes to cables or accessories, i dont really mind fake as long as its cheap, works, and doesnt try too hard to be the real thing. For example, a headphone cable with mic for beats by dre for 5 bucks. its obviously fake, but the reviewers say its just a red cable with mic, doesnt have any monster logos or anything, and it works well. thats fine by me!

19. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    You have to be careful on Amazon. I use it all the time and have had great experiences. Keep in mind though that other people sell on Amazon besides Amazon themselves. Be weary of outside sellers. i have had a bad experience with one. Amazon does their best to resolve any issues you have with these sellers though.

20. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    Reading product reviews are a great idea if you really want to know about a product or service. The only problem I have with reviews is this-how do you know that the reviews aren't fake?? I know that people can get online jobs writing reviews...there are lots of sites that pay for the writing of reviews for certain companies. How can consumers tell the difference? So, it seems to me that the entire selling/reviewing process has the potential for corruption.