AMD or Intel?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by That'sDevo • Jul 12, 2014.

1. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    What is your preferred cpu manufacturer? I am currently running with an AMD X4 750k but I really wish I had gotten an intel cpu for my current computer. It doesn't run horribly but it runs a bit hot and I am having to invest in aftermarket cooling so I can raid in WoW without my comp shutting down randomly when it hits 70(!) celsius randomly.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used both Intel and AMD, and I haven't noticed anything different between the 2 aside from the price. Intel is of course, much expensive. So I guess based from your observations, Intel is the better processor? After all, usually the more expensive the item is, the better the quality.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Intel's chips have a slight performance over AMD's chips according to various benchmark tests. However, AMD's chips are far more cost-effective than Intel's. Most computer users won't notice the difference in performance, even if they're gaming or engaging in heavy designing. The biggest power users that take these activities to the extreme will want to go with Intel because the differences become noticeable eventually. Most users should just go with AMD to save some cash in ALMOST identical performance.

4. DreamWave

DreamWaveNew Member

Threads:
    AMD's processors are well known for running a bit hot. 70 celsius is nothing. You can always try to raise the level at which the thermal protection is activated. It will run just fine at 90 degrees.
    Intel doesn't fall behind on this, though. They also have models that run hot. Intel's processors usually have huge heat sinks and fans.
    However, 70 degrees seems a bit low for a shut down. Are you sure it is your CPU that is overheating? It might be a video card issue - you should check it out.
    If you are using the integrated video, try using lower video settings and make sure the PC case gets enough ventilation (don't cover it with stuff).

5. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    The two processors are good but for my budget purposes AMD seems better than Intel. Many are with Intel merely because of advertising.

I once managed two PCs: the one using INTEL ran slower when compared to the AMD one. Regardless of RAM (2GB each).

I think AMD processors are better for the price.

6. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    After using several computers with each brand of processor, Intel comes out as the winner in my experience. It performs better at "equal" clock rates, and runs much cooler. Moreover, that running cooler is not to be underestimated, the heat given off by many AMD processors can cause other components to be damaged/more ineffective, decreasing the quality of the machine as a whole. Yes, Intel may be more expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for.

7. GLOGIK

GLOGIKMember

Threads:
    Hi sidney, that's most often than not, the belief of the populace: However, this view is erroneous. I have personally used both processor types, and I think they are both good.

Hi That'sDevo, I think both manufacturers are good, even though I currently AMD. I also think the choice of CPU manufacturer should be based on what you intend to do with your PC. If you intend to do a lot of gaming, or some other multimedia stuff, then you'll be better of with an AMD Processor.

Also, I have never personally had problems of overheating with my AMD-based Laptop. In fact, sometimes I program on my Laptop for almost 24 hours, and yet, the heating is not anything outside what should be expected from a system that has worked for that length of time, and the interesting thing is: I have used the Laptop for approximately 4 years now.

Hi bmarks, on a lighter note, do you have particular occurrences that justify this claim of yours. I ask this because I currently own a Laptop with an AMD Processor, and I've been using it for slightly over 4 years. In fact, I have been busy with my laptop (I mean the AMD-based Laptop) since the previous night, and it's almost 12 noon as I write this; yet, I don't experience any unusual heating.

Anyways, it's a nice thing you shared your ideas. Cheers:rolleyes:

Hi troutski, please will you be kind enough to mention some the benchmarks you refer to in your post? I think I could use that information.

Also, I also consider myself a "big power user"( please correct me if I'm wrong), because I'm a software developer, and run several IDEs, including Microsoft's Visual Studio which is known for it's reputation of being Processor Greedy. I also do a lot of gaming on my PC. Yet, in all these, I have never had any problems with the performance of my PC, with respect to being involved with those. In fact, I'm of the opinion that AMD-based systems perform better than their Intel counterparts when used for multimedia related tasks; and believe me, I've used them both.

#7Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  8. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    I own a laptop with an AMD-A8 processor. It's not the best things to get, but it's livable. It's great if your PC runs light applications or you use it mainly for browsing the web, but in the long run I'd pick Intel anytime.

AMD is basically a cheaper version of Intel, and that shows in both price and performance. I bought a Mac mini a year ago with an Intel Core i5 processor in it. Compared to my laptop after one year, my Mac beats it undoubtedly.

Intel processors are just better engineered in every way, and although they have a bigger price tag than AMD, you get what you pay for, something great.