[US Only] America's College Promise Act: Beacon Of Prosperity Or Collapse Of Economy?

Discussion in Freebies and Giveaways started by mythman • Jul 12, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The House and Senate recently proposed bills that might help realize the White House's proposal that we make

The legislation, known as America’s College Promise Act of 2015, would waive two years of tuition at community colleges across the country for eligible individuals, whether they are recent high school graduates or years removed from an academic setting.
    Under the act, the federal government would provide a match of $3 for every $1 invested by states to waive tuition and fees at community, technical and tribal colleges.

Senator Tammy Baldwin--one of the bill's authors--said in a statement, "Higher education should be a path to shared prosperity, not a path into suffocating debt." I ... I don't "disagree," but I don't quite agree either. What is our economy WITHOUT 'suffocating debt'? What are we 'making money' for if not to repay a debt that would 'suffocate' us if we didn't have the education?

And isn't 'spending tax-money on people's education rather than -on national defense and -on police-etc.' essentially the same as 'getting a Master of Liberal Arts' (the degree whose infamous motto is "Would You Like Fries with That?" because it teaches you nothing but 'how to look up literature-facts,' some say)?

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I was able to work part time and afford my tuition at a community college without a problem. It's when I transferred to a university that I had to take out student loans to afford the tuition, so this may seem like a good plan, but I really feel the cost of community colleges is not the real problem. It's an idealistic fix. The suffocating debt that college graduates find themselves in comes from years of higher ed, and I feel the real burden will just end up on the tax-payers backs, much like many other programs created to "help"