and the bill drops

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by LadyMiles • Oct 29, 2014.

1. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    Living in Nevada in the extreme heat, it is hard to keep up on the electric bill as the air conditioning runs almost constantly. Fortunately fall is upon us and the days have cooled off and the nights even cooler. The air conditioner has been turned of for the past few days and the difference can be seen in the estimated electric bill already. There was a drop of about 75 dollars in the past few days. I'm so excited about it being cooler and have a feeling I won't be using the heat this winter as this cool weather feels absolutely amazing.

2. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Yay!!! My case is very similar, though I don't think it gets nearly as hot as Nevada. I live in West TX, and some months our electricity bill is well over $200 bucks. I have tried to not use the air conditioner as much as possible, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

If you don't mind me being nosy, what is your electric bill usually in the summer? I guess I'm just trying to compare.

3. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    Oh my, 200, that is cheap in comparison to what ours was running throughout the summer. Ours was hitting 400 - 450. Of course we leave the AC on as I am from NY and used to the cool weather, this Nevada heat would kill me. I thought Texas was rather hot as well.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The weather is fluctuating like crazy where I currently live. One day of the week it is in the upper 80's and the next it is in the lower 50's. We have decided to just keep our system off for the most part in order to lower the cost of our bill. Having a $300 bill is never something fun you want in the mail.

5. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    I live in NJ and my 3 bdrm house was $350-400 per month also. Now I have a one bedroom apt and my most expensive was $150, the least.. wait for it.. $16! Can you imagine? My mother has a similar apartment and she pays about $40 over me every month.

Did anyone ever try those new "pay less by changing suppliers but not company" services?

6. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, well, my electricity bill didn't drop because of less usage, it fell because the gas and oil prices worldwide tumbled, leaving consumers with a reduction in prices relating to gas and oil and ultimately savings, gas station now have prices as low as 1 USD per liter in my country, so, yeah me! for now.

7. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    $16??? Wow, that is amazing! I would love to get a bill like that. Just the thought of it makes me think of what shopping I could do. I hate putting out money to companies in which I don't really see the benefit!!! We could trade bills if you would like? I mean I know I would like that. ;) I am looking forward to the cooler weather this season. As I stated I am from NY where the coolness was a part of my everyday life so the temps here in the 50's is like paradise to me. People think I am crazy because I will be outside in a tank and capris while they are scrambling to find a sweater or jacket. Silly desert folk :)

8. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    It sure would be nice to feel that drop here. It seems as though everything is going up here. The last few months have brought forth increases in many of our bills due to an increase in taxes or whatever. Craziest thing though is the minimum wage doesn't go up to compensate for the higher prices. So you are in Jamaica, must be nice :)

9. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    We live in Nevada to. The electric bill can be astronomical at times for some, thank GOD we live in a state where wind and solar power are very viable. With the amount of sun and wind here, there is ample free power. Some even qualify for a grant to get either a discounted or free solar power system in their home from what I hear. Either way, you should consider getting solar or wind power added. You don't have to go off grid. You can just get enough to lower your bill significantly if you want.

10. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    I live in Arizona. Wind energy is unheard of here for private residences. I've literally never heard of this. And I guess that makes sense, we don't have a whole lot of wind here. But god help us, we get alot of sun. But even then, it's not like alot of people are investing in solar panels. I mean, you do see it not infrequently, but it's usually larger organizations that get it. I've seen it on schools, offices, and once a development company invested in building a large, communal collection of solar panels to power the houses on that acreage.

Does Vegas get more sun than here? What proportion of private residences are investing in solar panels, would you say?

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I live in Ohio. At first I thought it was a scam when I received a phone call from a supplier so I told them that I wasn't interested. Then I received my utility bill and it had a notice enclosed explaining the whole speil.

Since I've been home (laid off) I've been trying to save any where I can so I elected to go with another energy supplier which handled both gas and electric. It's good to have a current bill on hand because once the new rate is mentioned you can compare right at that moment if you would benefit from that particular supplier.

It's not a contract but a time period maybe 18 months and then on a month to month basis and you can discontinue if your not satisfied. If you're receiving a subsidy it's considered a discount and you won't qualify.

There is a website but I don't have it handy. I was told that it lists suppliers in the states where deregulation has occurred.