Android OS Getting Biggest Update Since Android 3.0

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by troutski • Oct 17, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Android Lollipop has been officially announced and it's coming to the Nexus 6 smartphone and Nexus 9 tablet out of the box. Nexus 4 and 5 smartphones along with Nexus 7 (both versions) and Nexus 10 tablets will get the update first, otherwise. From there, Motorola's Moto G and Moto X (both generations) will get the update next. Individual device manufacturers will then decide when to roll out the update for their respective devices, after adding their own bloatware and UI skin into the OS.

Android 5.0 features battery optimization features, a new Material Design philosophy for aesthetics, and a number of other improvements.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's great to hear. I'm using a Nexus smartphone myself but its OS is still Jellybean 4.2.2. It's a bit outdated considering that I have not even upgraded to Kitkat yet. I do hope there won't be any awful consequences by doing so. I don't think my phone will be compatible with Lollipop unless they only added a few changes to the previous system.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Just when I got a KitKat phone too, but I guess it would need to come out sooner or later.
    Hopefully 4.4 still manages to stay compatible with the apps that will be coming out after this release.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You forgot Moto E. It's been confirmed to get update straight from Motorola as well. :)

There's almost no chance that a KitKat phone wouldn't get updated to 5.0. The manufacturers would be just damaging their own brand if they did that.

5. troutski

Threads:
    I'm assuming you have the Nexus 4, right? The phone which inexplicably never updated to Android 4.3 or 4.4. The update to 5.0 shouldn't be incompatible with Lollipop because it's still got the internal hardware powerful enough to handle Lollipop. It was a big surprise to many that the Nexus 4 was getting the update, but you'll be fine and shouldn't have to worry about any bugs or deficiencies. The differences between android 4.2.2 and 4.3 and 4.4.4 aren't that huge.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty excited, but mostly I just want to get the Nexus 9. I've been shopping around for a larger tablet to read magazines on and this was rumored and later announced at the perfect time.

7. troutski

Threads:
    Yep! The 4:3 aspect ratio of the Nexus 9 is supposed to make it better for things like reading and productivity tasks. It's not maximized for viewing movies, although most people won't notice the difference - video will still look great nonetheless. The iPad runs at the same aspect ratio, and that's considered one of the best productivity tablets around.