Android Updates

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunflogun • Jul 14, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I was using my kids tablet in the last days and I found it extremely annoying because many many times it had loads of updates I could not postpone or cancel that made the device way more slower. Is this happening with your android devices too?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you can probably go into the settings and set it up so that updates will be done on a schedule. Since my tablet is brand new, I haven't played with all of the settings yet and haven't done that myself, so last night, in the middle of working on mine, it did the same thing. It stated something about necessary updates, and even once I thought it had finished, and I'd started using it again, it suddenly rebooted in the middle of my work.

Incidentally, a friend told me that I should be getting the Lollipop update sometime next week, so I'll play with the settings before that, hopefully, and if yours is coming, you should probably do the same.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guarantee those aren't Android OS updates because manufacturers release those in limited numbers throughout the year. More likely you're dealing with app updates from individual apps on the device, since those come multiple times per week, in some cases. You can disable the updates or ignore them, unless they're System updates in which case they'll often update no matter what. A lot of times you'll have updates enabled over WiFi, which is why they start and install automatically.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I recall (the tablet's not near me), at least one mentioned updated memory or something like that, and was from Samsung. I'm sure you're right that at least some of them are app updates. I appreciate them updating the apps, but a little warning would be nice. @troutski@troutski When you say disable or ignore updates, do you have to do that individually, in each app, or is there some master setting that will override them for each individual app?

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I need to do that I still haven't, to play with the settings and get a hold of what's happening in that tablet. I am not much of a tablet user, so that is why I haven't dedicated myself properly to it, so the tablet is still running me and not the opposite. :)