Anime Movie Recommendations

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Sep 3, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm thinking of getting into anime movies as a break from the usual Hollywood blockbusters I usually indulge in, and I may even start up a bluray collection if I find it enjoyable enough. So far the only movies I've watched are Death Note and Ponyo, and I've heard a lot of good things about Gibli films so I do plan on checking them all out but I have to say I didn't really enjoy Ponyo as I found myself bored throughout the start and couldn't really continue on.

Anyone here have any recommendations of good anime movies I could buy? Preferably ones with great extra features on the discs so I can be more enthused about buying physical copies.

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I think you need to see the Street Fighter movie, if you haven't already.
    By the way, I thought there was only one, but I see there are sequels... I'm going to have to watch them now... Dammit.

There's also Akira, which is awesome as hell.
    I never saw Princess Mononoke, but everybody goes crazy about that one...
    Ghost in the Shell is epic.
    Appleseed is really cool.

There's also a weird cartoon, about a kid ninja who can remove his eyes, and they have wings, fly, and are really funny characters.
    He can do a trick with his snot, kind of like Spider-Man does with his web.
    If anybody knows what I'm talking about, please let me know how this cartoon is called! I can never find this.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're a fan of Samurai X, you should see Rurouni Kenshin Movie 1 and 2 wherein he faces of against the powerful Shishio. The movie has great dialogue and story. And of course, the action scenes are superb.

The focus of the movie is whether violence could really be used for the greater good or does it really just bring chaos.

You could download the movie at Amazon if you want.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Has Rurouni Kenshin 2 been released? I watched the first one and absolutely loved it. I saw the trailer and was freaking excited but didn't know it was already out.

Anyway, back to topic. I think TC should definitely watch Spirited Away. Although it's quite old already but no doubt it's good. If you prefer more action oriented then I suggest Karas, top notch action packed anime. Not only did it have great action scenes, the story is also very engaging. More recent ones I would recommend are Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods and Appleseed Alpha, again both are pretty good movies with high production value.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Rurouni Kenshin or Samurai X is probably one of the best out there. Also if you don't mind watching series I would definitely recommend Attack on Titan and Death Note both are really good. As for movies, you can try watching "The Girl Who Leapt Though Time" and the "The Garden of Words" they're really not one of those over the top anime's but they're really good.

6. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    If you haven't yet you could try the Rebuild of Evangelion movies. They're great movies with a pretty good story.
    You could also try any Miyazaki movie, they're amazing and you're sure to love most of his films.
    The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is another very good movie that makes you think about the consequences of your actions.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are very good Studio Ghibli movies. Then, if you liked the Anime, Ah, My Goddess (or in Manga form, Oh, My Goddess), the Ah, My Goddess movie was really good. If you like Sci-Fi, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles or Karas: The Revelation are quality Anime movies.

8. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I would recommend Spirited Away, The girl who lept through time, as well as The Grave of the fireflies. I found all of these films very good, and Grave of the Fireflies had a very touching story as well. If you are not used to watching anime though, you may find some of these films might look a bit, odd, but once you have watched a few you'll start to appreciate the art and the things they can do in anime that cannot be done with real actors.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup, it brings more action to the table than the first one. The first part of the movie was the build up. The second was full of battles. I must admit though that I'm not that impressed with the battle with Shishio. I wish it could have been longer. :(

I second this. I watched both The Girl Who Leaped Through Time and The Grave of the Fireflies and both are very very touching. The Girl Who Leaped Through Time deals with what you should do with choices and the consequences of the things that you do and don't do. I can't remember exactly what The Grave of the Fireflies was about because I watched it long long ago. But I do remember that it touched my heart.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you want something serious,, yet heartwarming and a bit funny, I suggest Tokyo Godfathers. Its a very good Anime movie about 3 hobos and their adventures. If you want something more on the funny and cartoon-y side, and you don't mind live action, Cutie Honey has a very funny ad cute movie. There is a point where it gets a bit serious for poor Honey, but she'll be fine.