Another Great Way To Save Money

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Oct 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So this is one isn't about saving money because you are growing your veggies and maybe some fruits.

Gardening is a good form of exercising. It is a proven fact that someone can get as much exercise as someone working out in a gym. Yeah, there is a difference but unless you are an aspiring body-builder, you'll get enough exercise to stay fit and healthy.
    So when gardening, think of it as killing two birds with one stone. You'll be saving money growing your own vegetables and at the same time, you don't have to pay any gym fees.

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the reasons why I really love gardening! Whenever I tend to our garden, I feel very tired yet good afterwards. It's actually a good form of exercise. :p Imagine digging and carrying sacks of fertilizer or soil for hour! :p

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I found some cute quotes about gardening to go with your post:

"The earth laughs in Flowers"
    "It is only the farmer who faithfully plants seeds in the spring, who reaps harvest in the Autumn."
    "The flower that is single need not envy the thorns that are many."
    "A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift, above all it teaches entire trust."
    "What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered."

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a garden, but I don't really do anything to it. I never knew that gardening is considered a moderate to high-intensity physical activity. Because you really don't sweat that much when you tend to your garden as compared to jogging, for example.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My grandmother rarely buys vegetables and fruits because to get them, she would just have to go to her garden and reap the edible fruits in the garden she would use for dinner or for lunch, for her cooking. In this way, she's able to save a lot of money. Not only that she grows her plants organically, so she's also to avoid the possible bad effects one get from eating pesticide-inflicted grown plant produce. It also saves her a lot of time as she doesn't have to go to the market to buy them. More time and effort are saved when you have your own garden.

6. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I am so very excited to start my first "real" garden next year. I am living in a house where we have almost an acre. I have been researching heirloom seeds and found all kinds of seeds I did not even know existed. Also I don't know if they still do this, but when I was growing up and my dad had a garden, you could take a soil sample to your local cooperative extension service and they would analzye it for free and tell you if it needed any minerals or things to help it be its best for growing.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gardening is only good for fitness if you have a yard. All my plants are in pots so I don't really break a sweat when watering them.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've always wanted to get into gardening for those reasons you have stated but unfortunately I live in an apartment with limited space so my options are limited. If I wanted a garden I'd have to settle with an indoor one and it would cost a lot for me to keep the lights running all day since the only rooms available for it don't get much sunlight. If I could make a setup that could be cheap like if I could prop up some solar panels then I'd be totally into it but sadly even solar panels are expensive as of now where I live.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a backyard garden as a hobby or diversion and not for profit. This morning, a neighbor knocked on our gate. She was selling garlic (she purchased from the market). It's a coincidence that our lunch is porridge which has garlic for the spice. But we didn't buy because we had harvested some garlic in the backyard. I told our neighbor that we plant garlic for the kitchen because it tastes better than the garlic that we buy. It may be psychological but it's good for us.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My family used to garden for many years, especially my grandparents, who gardened right up until they passed. It's definitely a lot of work, but it was so worth it for the fresh veggies and especially the home made tomato sauce and canned tomatoes, which I really miss the most.

My parents and I would help our grandparents with their gardening and canning, and then we also had a garden in our own back yard for many years too. So we were pulling double duty for a while there. I remember the zucchini in particular would grow like crazy and we were practically begging people to take some home with them.

The main reason my family stopped gardening is because we were getting too many wild animals in our back yard, who were eating everything up and destroying a lot of the stuff. We live near a farm that raises horses, so it was not uncommon for one of them to get loose and wind up in our yard feasting on our stuff. The rabbits and squirrels were also chowing down on everything, as were the occasional deer that would jump the fence then get stuck because they didn't have enough room to run and jump back out.

11. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    It's sad for me not having a garden to grow vegetables. I remember my mom growing some at home, and we used to have a kind of yard in elementary school, in which we were taught to grow some vegetables that eventually we used to harvest and eat in fresh salads.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love gardening. I find it very relaxing and satisfying. It's a great way to teach kids where our food comes from. It shows them that it takes a lot of hard work to grow something and not to be wasteful. My kids since they were little have helped weed and water and plant our little garden. We grow tomatoes, chili peppers, herbs, and peppers. It's so much fun I can't imagine not having a garden. We take all the tomatoes, herbs and peppers we've grown and make large batches of tomato sauce.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do garden for the exercise and the pleasure of watching something that starts as a little seed can become a huge plant and be used as food or something beautiful very rewarding.

14. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly we don't have a garden so I can't really say much about this new trick to save more money. However, I believe that this is a viable way not only to save, but to exercise as well. It also helps our body to be in the presence of plants because they are scientifically proven to reduce stress level significantly.

15. healthgeek

healthgeekNew Member

Threads:
    I also wish I can grow my own plants and vegetables and need not worry about pesticides and chemicals. Unfortunately I do not have a garden! But I guess the closest to this is growing your own herbs. But I worry if I do not use them often, then it will be a waste if they overgrow and die off. I do agree gardening can be a therapeutic hobby to do.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think gardening is a kind of a moderate type of exercise and includes just not watering your plants,but also weeding,digging,hoeing,raking and planting as well. I would say to just pick the pace up, while you do these gardening things and its a natural way of connecting to nature-overall I think you can achieve a great mind and body workout this way as well. The fresh air is quite good and makes you more creative with your thoughts- this can really save you money on your vegetables and flowers- and you can get a nice workout in as well, while you tend to your garden.

#16Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    It's really a great alternative to save good money, but I think this kind of activity can't be done by anyone. My parents cultivate some things (fruits / veggies) and I find it a kind of boring activity.