Ants in my laptop

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by maddie • Oct 18, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever faced this problem - I have ants crawling in and out of my Laptop. They are not there while it is switched off, the moment I switch it on I see ants crawling around. How do you get rid of this problem, I don't want them to wreck havoc with my laptop. I googled this issue and watched a video which has made me even more scared?

here is the video
    Can you help..

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Sheez, that gives a whole new meaning to "computer bug"! I have never heard of a laptop getting ants before. It sounds like when you turn it on, they don't like that and start coming out. I did a little research online and it sounds like one of two things may have attrached them. The first is a sound frequency that may have attracted them and the other is a potential food source from crumbs or sugary residue left behind from eating near it or while using it. There are several suggestions on getting rid of them and several people said that this one works really well.

Others have suggested putting it in the sunlight and they will leave after a few hours because it gets too hot inside for them to stay in it. Other suggestions include setting up a bowl of sugar or food that is laced with ant poison nearby so they will leave the laptop, go to the sugary poison and then die in the bowl. Good luck!

3. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Why don't you just buy an air canister and blast them out yourself.? Anyway, their only ants and won't do you any harm.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I had never read anything like that. There may be a source of ants usually near where you are using the laptop. I don't think it's a problem of your computer. You may have food particles on the keyboard, or small bits of sugar in one part of the equipment. I don't think they can do damage to the system, but it's quite unpleasant to have these insects turning on the computer. It's really amazing, which is why I think the solution should also be unreleased. It's definitely the strangest thing I read all day. Good luck with that.

5. darren777

darren777Member

Threads:
    Wow that is a really unique problem. You must have some type of sugary drink or something dryed into the keyboard. Try giving your laptop a nice cleaning and using compressed air to blow them all away!

6. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Hey maddie! I have this same problem too, though it is just the occasional small harmless ant and not like those fire ants in your video! I guess they usually start going near your laptop because they are attracted to the electromagnetic waves that your device emits while it is turned on. The only reason I can come up with as to why ants are even near your computer is because you probably eat while using it and this may result in ants getting attracted to stay in the area near your computer and when your laptop is on, it gets attracted by the EM waves and moves towards it. Try keeping your keyboard clean by wiping it down with a damp cloth as well as the hand-rest area. Your mouse and touchpad should also receive the same treatment. Using compressed air, blow out small particles of food or dust stuck beneath the keyboard and remember to either stop eating while surfing the net or eat neatly and clean up thoroughly! I hope this helps!

7. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Ugh that video was awful to watch :( I'm sure your laptop is not going to get attacked in the same manner. If I were you, I'd do the following:

1) when the ants are out, use a hoover to suck the insects out, as many as you can spot
    2) switch the laptop off for a couple of days and don't use it. Place a stand in a tray of water.... something big enough to hold the laptop and high enough so the water doesn't reach the laptop. Place the laptop on this stand for those two days, until the ants have all traveled out looking for food and landed in the water tray.
    3)once the laptop is clean from Step 2 above, spray some ant-repellent spray on some cotton wool and wipe the laptop with this.

You should be all set to restart your machine again.

#7Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Actually the origin of the term "computer bug" was because back when computers were coming out, they had a problem with literal bugs getting into the machine (which was the size of a room at the time) which would mess it up. Though I haven't heard of anyone having that problem in the past 20 years...

9. Gift3d

Gift3dMember

Threads:
    Thats crazy, What did you do to get them in? Have you left your laptop outside or on the grass? Or do you have an ant problem in your home?

I have had one before and after watching the video you posted it makes sense, I had red ants in my room that would climb up the cord for my alarm clock that was touching my bed, not a single one would go on my bed but they would climb up to my headboard and swarm my alarm clock.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I could only watch about 30 seconds of that video. It really freaked me out. Fortunately, I have never had fire ants or any ants in my laptop. I have no suggestions for you. Good luck though.

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried using compressed air to clean. I do not eat or drink while I work. I take my mug of coffee or green tea with me and usually go out to the room where the windows face the garden.
    I have used a solution that kills ants to clean the underside of the laptop. I haven't had ants in the last few days, but today they were back again. So I sprayed a newspaper with the ant poison and placed my laptop on it to keep those critters away.
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestion. I guess if this continues I may have to take it to the service center and have it cleaned well.

12. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Hmm... I have never heard of ants in a laptop because. Are they coming in and out from your keyboard or are they coming on and out from the ports on the side of your computer? Either way it sounds like a terrible problem and kind of gross as well. Anyways, I would suggest killing as many ants as you can. After you kill all of them, there shouldn't be anymore unless there are others who find their way to your laptop. I would avoid eating and drinking near your computer as you may have started this out by spilling something in or on it. Good luck!

13. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    That video freaked me out. I now take back every complaint I've made over the last few weeks about the cold weather. I am now most grateful to live in a cooler climate where fire ants can't survive.

Anyway, I had a friend who had some very very tiny ants move in to her laptop. They would actually get behind the screen, so she could see them wander around but couldn't kill them. We took apart the laptop, blew it out with compressed air, vacuumed the keyboard, and wrapped the whole thing up each night in a newspaper we'd sprayed with ant killer. After about a week, there were no more ants.

14. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    Wow! I never had ants in my laptop. If you're not experienced with removing parts of a computer then ask for help to take off the bottom of your laptop. It's actually pretty easy to do it. Just use a screwdriver to remove the screws. When you're inside use an air spray to spray out the inside and maybe that'll scared out all the ants.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I'll do that if need be.. as of now there aren't any ants. I hope this has helped and will continue to keep the ants away. I have had my window sills sprayed too. I may have to do that more often to keep those critters away.

16. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is a first. I've had ants crawl to my laptop from another place. But I've never heard of them making a home in there. It's kind of creepy. And after reading earlier comments, I won't attempt to watch the video. But I do believe ants are more attracted to a computer when it's on, either because of the light or the waves coming off it. Good luck.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie I am surprised you did try using neem oil and leaves to get rid of the ants. You could try putting the oil on a cotton ball and keeping it near the computer and you could place a few leaves on the keyboard when the computer is idle. I had a few curious ones crawling around my laptop, but I guess they didn't find anything interesting and moved on.

18. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The first thing that came to my mind was that you, or someone, must have spilled something sugar-based on the laptop. As someone who works from home I used to like taking my laptop into the garden to work on warm days, I stopped when one night while at the kitchen table I saw an earwig crawled out of my laptop's USB port!

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Glad to know that the problem has already been resolved. I never knew that there are ants that will specifically target electric items, especially a microwave. Good thing that I don't see any fire ants here, and I don't think that fire ants are prevalent in my country.

20. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had the same issue before with my netbook maddie. I didn't know what to do when I saw a battalion of red ants marching in and out of the keyboard spaces. I tried to kill of as many ants as possible by getting a damp tissue and wiped it across the keyboard. After that, I would use my laptop for about 5 to 6 straight hours in hopes that the ants would fry to death inside. My laptop is still fine and I don't see any ants walking about anymore.