Anyone Else Battling Stinkbugs?!

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ohiotom76 • Sep 25, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's that time of year again, when these obnoxious critters are seemingly *everywhere*. And worse yet, apparently the local exterminators can't do much of anything to actually get rid of them. I'm curious if anyone else on here is dealing with these damn things, and if so, if you've had any luck in keeping them out of your house.

Supposedly they've been in the US since the late 1990's - but arrived here from (i think?) China. Honestly, I've never in my life encountered these things until about 3 years ago. Prior to that, just about everywhere I had been living for the past 15 years or so all had central air, so I rarely ever left any windows open.

Unfortunately, my current residence does not, so some rooms in our house, such as my bedroom, use a standard window air conditioner, which is apparently one of the #1 ways they come in, since the AC unit appears to attract them even more.

Well, yesterday was one of the worst days of the year to date, I must have killed nearly 100 of them, and there were plenty more crawling around my window near the AC just waiting to try and crawl in. I had finally had it, and two rolls of duct tape later I've pretty much taped off my entire AC and every possible crack or seam in our window. What's worse is these windows are only two years old and look practically brand new. I also had to go as far as to place pieces of screen over the vents on the AC and seal the edges of those off too with the duct tape. It all looks ridiculous but it's better than nothing.

Anyone else know how to get rid of these things effectively?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh no, I was thinking they were gone for the year, but after seeing your thread and reading this article:

, it sounds as if they could come back with a vengeance, especially since you're probably cooler there, so they might come here next. I have a tree right over my house, so that's probably where they live almost year-round. The article mentions that soapy water in a spray bottle can get rid of them, as well as some other methods.