Anyone else constantly getting Adobe Acrobat update notifications?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by ohiotom76 • Aug 24, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I swear this program updates more than any other program on my computer - and I could count on one hand how many times I actually use it in a given year. What is so freaking important about Acrobat that they have to keep pushing out all these incessant updates? Now this one today wants me to reboot my computer. As soon as I reboot it, they'll just hit me up with another damn update notification. Honestly, it's like they are trying to get people to use it more or something - and keep it at top of mine by pushing out so many updates. Then every time I do update, it keeps adding those damn Acrobat buttons all throughout my Office applications and I have to go through and clean it up.

2. Methrend

MethrendNew Member

Threads:
    I'm in Australia and have the same issue. "Adobe Application Updates" is almost permanently in my taskbar now. I don't see why there's so many, or why I can't exit it all without updating. It's almost tempting me to uninstall Acrobat and use a different pdf reader if it keeps happening.

I don't mind the occasional update but when it's constant AND most of them require a reboot, it just gets irritating and in the way of my workflow.

3. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    The more often a software updates the less stable it is. Most of the time Adobe products (Except the CS) require constant updating to avoid crashes and fix sum bugs! The good news is that there are always alternatives.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I thought it was just me - nice to know everyone gets the same problem. Even my antivirus software doesn't want to update as often as Adobe, and it has to work hard for its living. Maybe we should all spam the Adobe website with emails. If they got a taste of their won medicine, they might not be so keen on all these updates. Just a thought.

5. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I actually use to delete the Adobe program from my computer and only reinstall it when I needed to use it, which was maybe once every 4-5 months. I couldn't handle the update notifications. I try to turn on update manually on most programs and turn off notifications when possible. If I start noticing problems, I will check for updates, but if not, I am fine running an older version of software.

6. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    OMG yes its maddening! I almost with it would totally uninstall and reinstall because it seems to crash more if I do run the updates. If I leave it alone its fine.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    YES! I just had another one this morning. I usually try to ignore them for a few days but then I give in and run the update. I am about ready to unistall it and get a third party PDF reader off of the web.

8. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    It really is annoying to constantly see the update pop-up even though I've already ticked update automatically. I don't use adobe acrobat that often for me it's Adobe Flashplayer that seems to need updating a few times a week. Don't think there's an alternative to flashplayer for sites like youtube so I guess ill just have to put up with it. Like mamma2three I turn off most automatic updates even the Windows ones.

9. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I have disabled the program in my startup list, so until I open Adobe to specifically use it, the program does not get loaded during every start-up... thus doing away with update notifications. Seems like many of you are getting way too many alerts, which can be quite annoying. Simply try disabling all Adobe-related programs by clicking on Start > Run > msconfig > (A new window will open up) > Startup > uncheck all Adode related programs.
    When you actually need any of it, you'll be prompted to open the required progam. Until then, it's peace.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have just updated my Adobe Reader to version 11.0.5, and I must say that it's quite a useful upgrade, because it now has an option to convert your pdf file to a Word, Excel, or rich text document. That's quite convenient if you ask me, since I have no idea how to convert a certain document to a different format.

11. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    For me, it's not only Adobe Acrobat, but most (if not all) of the Adobe products I have on my computer. I do love the products that they offer but yes I do agree the constant updating gets quite annoying... But I guess better they at least ask rather than auto update without your knowing.

12. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    This is one reason that made me uninstall Adobe acrobat. I also don't like how big it feels. I recommend getting Foxit reader. It's light, fast and it does everything Adobe reader does.

13. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    SumatraPDF is also a good alternative if you need a lightweight replacement that still has an adequate featureset. Or you could just disable automatic update notifications, and stay on the same version of Acrobat.

14. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    i turned it off but i dont remember how. I think i just went into msconfig and had adobe not start at boot.