Anyone have experience with Wells Fargo bank?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by limcid • Apr 13, 2013.

1. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I'm tired of dealing with my credit union because they're based in the next city up the road a little ways. Getting to one of the branches is problematic sometimes. There's a Wells Fargo near me and I'm thinking of opening a checking account with them.

Any problems or potential gotcha's in dealing with them?

2. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    Some people in my family have used or use Wells Fargo, and it seems to satisfy their banking needs, which are basic. If your looking to open an account I would go right ahead and do so. Seems like a pretty good bank to me, I may setup an account there if I do not like my US Bank services.

3. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think I will be opening up an account there. It's very close to my home so I might as well give them a try. It will be good to see what differences there are from the credit union since I've been with the CU all of my life.

4. APluckeyduck

APluckeyduckMember

Threads:
    Funny, I was in a similar situation. I've been with my credit union for a long time, but they have closed all of the branches in NY where I live. The only branches are in NJ, which is where their corporate offices are. Its a good commute and the tolls are ridiculous. So, I decided to open a checking account with the Wells Fargo that had opened in my neighborhood. I was okay with the type of fees but was really dissatisfied with how they handled my money. For example, I made a cash deposit into the bank's ATM machine and it took anywhere from 3-5 days to post to my account. So, I decided to give my money to a teller the next time and I still experienced a full 3 days before the money posted. The first incident resulted in a bounced check, because I had no idea it would take so long for them to post the money.

They also held my money for the first 30 days, of which I was not told that I couldn't use the account, and resulted in bounced checks. Of course, I complained each time and they finally reversed the fees, but they should not have given me checks if I wasn't supposed to write any. They shoulunderstand sent them 30 days later. This was about four years ago, so they may have improved since then, I can't say, but I'm with my credit union for life. They have partnered with other credit unions in my area and have created shared branches where I can go and conduct business as though it was my home branch. So, I no longer need that WF account.

Just make sure you understand the termsss and conditions when you apply.

5. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Woah, that's pretty bad. Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to ask some specific questions concerning these policies before opening an account. Maybe they've changed, but it really shouldn't have been that way in the first place.

6. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I have a few friends that have this bank and I have heard pretty good things about them haven't heard anything bad i'd look into it more find all the information about the bank you possibly can and than decide if it's the right bank for you

7. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I just posted somewhere else about my experience with Wells Fargo, so I will make this brief, I hate Wells Fargo, absolutely hate them. When I opened an account with them online several years ago, it turned in to a nightmare. They managed to mess up every single thing about me. Even though i used my new married name, they automatically put my ex husbands name on the account, they mailed my checks to my ex, who by the way is a thief, they send my debit card to my new husbands work address and they mailed my pin number to my mother in law. None of it made sense at all and when I complained, they dared tried to charge me a cancellation fee. I will never ever return to that bank.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Several years ago, I joined Wells Fargo for the same reason as you. First, I got a checking account then I got a visa credit card. By the time I got the visa, I re-joined the credit union through my new job.

I liked having the flexibility but hated WF customer service. Once, I had a question for the rep and another guy at the counter just stared at me. No greeting or feedback, he just stared even when I stopped speaking and stared back at him.

Then, because my days were long and paying bills turned into a chore, I wanted to link accounts so it would withdraw automatically. Sounds simple, right? Well, you can't do this online and walking into a branch meant going into a room that was the size of an apartment closet. Not cool.