Anyone here use ubuntu?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Aug 24, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a free, open-source operating system which IMO isn't as great as Windows. I tried using ubuntu as I poised myself to switch from my old version of Windows but everything about is so complicated that I had to shelve my plans to ditch Windows.

If you've used ubuntu before, did you find it hard to use? Is software that runs on ubuntu hard to obtain?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Ubunutu before and it wasn't hard for me to do the basics since I've used other Linux distros before. But certain things I think are complicated, like the terminal and I'm not used to the file structure. If I was going to switch from Windows I would use Linux Mint, since the interface is more similar. But I've never kept any installation of linux because I'm too used to having it easy with Windows.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe I could try Linux Mint and see if I'll like it.

What I'm concerned about though is that most of the software I use don't have their Linux versions or alternatives that could be used. I've heard of WINE but having never used it I don't know if it would limit the functionality of some of the programs. Have you used WINE to run Windows software on Linux? If you have, did the software run as smoothly is it does on Windows?