Anyone make money off game development?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by andrew172 • Nov 22, 2013.

1. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Do we have any coders/ designers that have developed a video game and made money off of it? Personally I have made three games using unity but have marketed them all for free. I'd be curious to know if anyone has sold their games for money or made anything from ads in them?

2. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    I've been considering getting into game dev, although I don't think I could come up with any revolutionary idea that hasn't been done to death before. Pretty much every genre and gameplay variation already had fifty mobile games, each better than what I make. You could probably make a decent living off commission work though, a lot of people have ideas and want to have their app/game made.

Ad revenue is also a good idea, but you need a pretty popular game with a huge playerbase in order to make a meaningful amount from it.

3. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I've been experimenting with the formula of having one very popular game for free and then releasing the sequel for a low price... say 99 cents. I've yet to release a pay to play sequel though. And yes it could potentially be very lucrative if done properly.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    You know what, i am constantly thinking about that. You can literally make some cheap game that is easy to code, put it for free with some gimmick for 50 cents and still make a fortune with it.

5. erronousRogue

erronousRogueMember

Threads:
    That's not a bad idea either, but coming up with a gimmick is the key. You could make an Angry Birds clone today and try to sell it for a couple cents, but nobody is going to bother with buying it when Angry Birds already exists, and is available for free. There's also things like microtransactions, which could potentially make you rich overnight if there are enough people using it.

6. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Indeed, especially on the android market, few people will actually pay for a game when there is a similar game for free out there.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds too complicated. I feel like even the beginner tutorials wouldn't be easy. When I watched The Internship and they were talking about codes, I was like "no way" and this is coming from a computer junkie. I do have ideas of apps that I would love to see in the app store but it would be too risky to pay an upfront fee to a developer. I NEVER like the idea of spending money to get money. It reminds me of gambling.

8. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    I've been considering getting into mobile development, but I just don't have the time. But I could pair up with a team as a graphics guys, I guess. I might do that next year, when I solve some personal problems and get some free time. It's a big business, and there is a piece of cake for anyone in there.

9. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I am not making any money from game development. A friend of mine who got his bachelors in something engendering related got a job with the people who make the Sims. He had to move to California to do the job. Now, there is money in developing games from home, but I think almost all of that is in Apps. I think there are some websites with flash developed games that turn a profit, but I have no idea how you would get them to pay you for a flash game.

10. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't base my impression of programming on what was portrayed in the internship, even though it is a hilarious movie. It's just something that takes a lot of understanding of logic as well as a lot of patience and about a year's casual learning (for one or two languages) you might want to get some artistic skill too, if you're designing things.

Well you make the game that works 100% in Flash, and then you show it to a website that hosts online games (I'll use Kongregate as an example) They will tell you if it's good enough and give you an API to include in the game (what the API does varies from site to site) It costs nothing for the developer to host their game on Kongregate and they pay you a portion of their advertisement revenue ans this is where the money comes from. How much you get depends on how popular your game is. You literally can't actually *lose* any money at all.

#10Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, then it would still be too complicated for me. I am very anti-logic and I was also born to be impatient. Even though people tell me I am more patient than them for doing surveys everyday, I'm really not. I always make sure I have background noise otherwise I DO get impatient. It also helps that I am stubborn.

12. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I totally get, that's how I was when I first started- it's not for every one I guess, and programming in general can be really boring if you can't see the results of what you're coding (in my opinion at least). It can be a huge mountain to climb but if you do manage, it can be good because there isn't a huge talent pool and so you people are willing to pay large amounts of money to anyone that can do it.

13. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    I am trying to teach myself Objective C so I can develop games. I am a graphic designer for a living so I can design + draw with no worries. I just find it difficult to code. I don't have any money to spend on outsourcing either which sucks! I've always looked into game development, especially iOS or Android. You can make some serious coin, even with free versions. I can code HTML, CSS, a bit of PHP and a bit of Objective C but I have a lot to go!

Coming from a creative field is awesome though. I've always got ideas for games & apps that could be awesome but what's an idea without execution, right? It's still an idea.

14. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    You could try playing around with unity if you want! it isn't as coding intensive as other pieces of software and one of the only limitations is the art that you produce for it, which shouldn't be a problem for you.

15. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, so a lot of us are excited at making a game and selling it at the app store or play store... But is there an easy to use application or program that could be used to create Android and/or iOS apps and games? It would certainly be great if there was an app like that. I also want to create a game myself. I have tried making one before but not for mobile devices and I used a certain program.

16. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    I guess there is a section of people who get help from these sources which is pretty cool,The thing is its about the ways how something works for us if its all working goodly we can get to have range of bringing the betterment overall so yeah it could work with the right format.