Anyone Printing Books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Sunflogun • May 29, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Eventually there aren't many people printing books, but I can't really get accustomed to e-readers. So, I get free e-books online, I can also print them for free at work (yes, it is allowed here) and I have great free books! Anyone doing this too?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you mean by printing free books? You download them then print them out? If that's the case depending on the country you are in, it may not be legal.

I know you can't do that in the UK or US legally although some people do privately.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do that in the past but it's very costly. If you take into consideration the number of pages you have to print, the ink bottles you'd be consuming throughout the whole printing process and the total hours covered with each book printing session. Rest assured, printing electronic copies can burn a hole through your pocket. And Theo's right. Unless you print books with expired licenses, you may have violated copyright policies. Don't go on selling your copies or sharing them to others. Just keep them for yourself.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I was as lucky as you are. :) I'd love to have some of my favorite e-books in print, especially the rarer editions. I would even go so far as to try my hands on book binding and making an interesting cover for them. In the past when I had a printer at home, I printed various short books, but it all got to be too expensive.

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    No way, I download them from legal sources, no torrents. I am surprised that some authors do provide their books for free, directly in the authors page!

Yeah, it is expensive @Dora M@Dora M that is why this is one perk I really love from my job, we have a friendlu quota. :)

6. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    No. I personally don't. I prefer books with a cover, but I prefer e-books to a pad of pages. I USED to print though for school because we weren't allowed to take books home from the library.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I actually don't print ebooks, but I did photocopy a lot of real books, specifically academic books, when I was still studying in college. Yeah, they are a bit costly, but not as expensive as the original books are.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never would even think about printing books be it legal or illegal. The expense is not worth it. If I wanted a book, I want to hold in my hands I'd rather get hose ridiculously cheap ones on half.com. There's some books there which cost $1.

9. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That is a fact Denis, even on Amazon we have great deals for just $1 on used books, but considering you can print them for free, I think many of us would do it, in one minute I am thinking about the book, the next minute I have already printed it and I am good to go. ;)

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, you can download e-books them for free, but maybe violating copyright laws by printing them out. I have a fee e-book, but that does not give people the right to print it out in some countries. Some people say it's fine if it's for personal use if you print at home, but if you are using a business photocopier it legally changes things, so I would not advise it. In the UK you can print for personal use on your own devices. Books in the public domain are not affected.

As most people use it for personal reasons most won't get caught, but in the US there is a sign above most commercial photocopiers reminding people of the fair use law and basically if the librarian or who owns the photocopy is aware of the breach they can take action.

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It’s something I never really thought to do, even before I got used to reading e-books. But I figure it would be too expensive for me anyway, despite the fact that I do prefer to read things in print rather than on a screen. I’m more willing to go to a used bookstore and get a few things for fairly cheap… even though I haven’t actually had the chance to do that yet, whoops.

12. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    That is one of the reasons I prefer to have a hard copy, it doesn't get my eyes tired. The downside is that I have to carry a sometimes heavy book, but all in all it's an option I still consider for the time being, at least while it's free. ;)