Anyone used Lulu for self-publishing?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Denis Hard • Dec 4, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Quote from wikipedia:

I've heard of authors placing their books on Lulu.com but have never heard any success stories about them earning some good cash from their books and so on. I'm thinking of writing an e-book and trying to sell it on the Lulu self-publishing platform but would like to find out if placing your book on the site can pay off. Should I proceed or try some other means of marketing the e-book?

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used Lulu.

Before going that route, I would definitely do my homework. Stories I hear from writers about self-publishing range from disaster to success regardless of the publishing platform they use.

Here's a piece titled

. Check it out for more info.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    After taking a look at the two, I guess I'd still have to take a look around the web and see if there's anyone who offers more, for less. I don't know if Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing would be a good idea because then you'd have to sell your book only on Amazon?

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard of LuLu but don't personally know of people publishing with them so I wouldn't know of actual success stories with them. I have heard of people publishing with Amazon and becoming best sellers. One woman I heard about had 15 years of rejection letters and then self published with Amazon and had much success. The thing with self publishing is you really are going to have to self promote to get your product out there. Yet, with social media now-a-days is shouldn't be as hard to do.

5. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never used Lulu. But I can tell you that Amazon's Create Space and Kindle Direct is probably a better option. Amazon holds a major percentage in online sales of books. So, you are going to want your book on Amazon anyway. Also many of these companies have to pay Amazon a fee for selling on Amazon. You might as well cut out the middle man and go with Amazon. If I remember correctly their prices are also more affordable. As for selling only on Amazon... I believe if you pay a fee, you are able to see your book in other stores too. Good luck!