Anyone uses windows XP anymore?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Steve • Apr 1, 2014.

1. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Yesterday i visited a friend that i had some years to contact and through discussion i learned that he still was using Windows XP in his brand new rig and it was "really faster than Windows 7". That really confused me and i wanted to present to him some strong arguments against that but i was caught by surprise. We have arranged to keep in touch from now on and i would really like some strong arguments to present to him and prove him wrong. Any help guys?

2. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, Windows XP is losing support now, there aren't that much applications for it now, I mean its pretty much outdated, sooner or later he has to upgrade. Second is, security issues, since XP is very old, you can't guarantee its safety. Yes XP is faster than Windows 7 but you have to consider the support it has now, its dying, most games nowadays don't even have support for XP, its that old.

3. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    XP is faster than Windows 7? Not in my experience. I would say Windows 8 is definitely the fastest available at this point. It is not too smart to stay with a downgrade when it comes to safety. There are plenty more viruses that are likely to attack your friend's computer for the simple fact: old systems are more vulnerable to be attacked my viruses and malware. I'd strongly recommend that your friend upgrades sooner than later.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I still know someone who uses windows 95 on their main computer, although I realise I'm probably alone in this. Personally I have a PC that uses XP, but my current one uses windows 8. I prefer XP to other operating systems, but some applications require windows 8. I dislike the GUI of windows 8 but I suppose I've gotten used to it over time.

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    It all depends on your computers specs.

His computer may not be able to handle Windows 7, or 8. Which is giving him the illusion that Windows 7 is slower than Windows XP. If his computer has very poor specs it makes no since to tell him to upgrade his OS. That would make the computer load so slow that it would be unusable.

If your computer ca not handle newer operating systems. You have two choices. You can either stay with XP, and accept the privacy risk. Or Buy a new computer.

6. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that there are some people that just have general issues and troubles adapting and do not like change so the cling to the old ways. I would say that 8 right now is probably the best windows os there is available

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did use Windows XP, even up until this morning. But support for Windows XP is ending in 48 hours, so I've been transferring whatever I want to keep from my old computer to a refurbished Windows 7 desktop.
    I don't want to upgrade to Windows 8 yet because I don't find the little tiled desktop appealing at all. I'm sorry to say goodbye to Windows XP and it seems like a huge waste to stop using a working computer just because I was forced to go to Windows 7.

8. TomRalphio

TomRalphioNew Member

Threads:
    Windows XP was actually the last version of Windows that I really enjoyed using. Of course, it's outdated now but at the time it was quite brilliant. I still have it on an old desktop of mine, because it works just fine (though I barely use the machine). Windows licenses can be really pricey so it really doesn't seem worth it at times to buy a new version, especially for an old computer. That said, two of my other laptops run Vista and Windows 7 but they feel very clunky and heavy on the system. Vista in particular is a major culprit as far as this is concerned.

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Of course it is a computer with more processing power so it would tear into XP as fast as it can. Windows 7 is quite heavy as compared to other operating system that is why it can be considered slow. But on the other hand, Windows 8 is much lighter and runs better and faster than Windows 7. Since XP support is ending on 8th then I would use either 7 or 8.

10. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm using XP, but that is because it's the original OS from my old laptop, no way I would use XP on a new laptop or computer, that really makes no sense. As for being faster, I don't question that, Windows 7 is far more heavier than XP so if it's a weak computer just Windows 7 might make it slower.

11. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    Some people still stick to Windows XP despite the later iterations of windows released by Microsoft due to stability, reliability and how used these people are to the OS. Like AB91000 said- some people have problems running later versions of Windows due to old PCs and difficulties in actually getting these OSes to work smoothly.

12. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used Windows XP since Windows 7 came out, I resisted the change when Vista was released, but that was easy since it was very unstable.
    When Windows 7 came out, it was basically an improved Windows Vista and it coincided with the time I bought a new computer so I got that by default.

Windows XP is going to stop being supported soon, right? That should make people change over to Widows 7 then, and whoever doesn't have a PC to run that should change over to Linux probably.

13. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Most of you guys are right, and i recently saw a news article about Microsoft ending the support for windows XP altogether. I think this seals my argument that Windows XP are dead now. The real tricky part is to convince my friend to upgrade :)

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use Windows XP, and I would have to say that most of the games that I installed ran without problems on that OS, while in Windows 7 or Vista I encountered some bugs or they never got installed at all. I actually miss using it to be honest, since I upgraded to Vista. And then I switched to Windows 7 after some time. I think that it's ok to use XP if you just use it for gaming and not for surfing, because it might be vulnerable to viruses.

15. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    I still use it on a few virtual machines I run from time to time for testing purposes, but other than that, I haven't really used it properly since I got seven years ago.

16. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    I use it on some of my older laptops but I heard that microsoft was going to stop supporting it soon so I will probably upgrade to windows 7 or the next one after Windows 8 because I also heard that they were going to remove that app thing that they put into winodws 8 and put back the start menu. I like how there was a menu but my windows 8 computers are sort of annoying to navigate when I am not very used to it any more. I think most people use it because it is very stable and don't really want to pay for an upgrade or don;t like change much.