Anyone using a cannon EOS 1100D

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by maddie • Nov 14, 2012.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a cannon EOS 1100 D and for the life of me can't figure out how to do the setting for landscape shots and night shots. I have been using a point and shoot camera so long.. that was so easy but the picture clarity wasn't so great nor were the colors. This camera is awesome but then I seem to have misplaced my instruction manual while we painted our home ( not that I am so good at reading technical language) and now I am stuck.
    Could you help?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Here is the instruction manual for it online:

I have the Canon 60D, and these options are on the dial. The landscape shot I believe has a mountain icon, and the night shot one has a moon. Yours may be a bit different though. Personally, I don't like using either of these modes because they don't necessarily produce the best results.

I generally just use Aperature Priority mode for landscape shots, and try and shoot with as low an aperature as I can while keeping it within a safe hand-held shutter speed (1/60th), or use a tripod if I have one on hand. The Landscape mode also tints the image and adjusts the colors a bit - something I would rather do myself in Photoshop.

For shots at night, I prefer to use the manual setting, because shooting in low light like this - especially when there are street lights, neon signs, and such, can really confuse the meter. You wind up with a mix of under and over exposed shots. Usually I will just manually adjust the aperature and shutter speeds (and ISO) and take a few test shots until I get an exposure level I'm happy with for the vicinity I am shooting in, and leave it at that. I only update/change them if the lighting changes significantly.

With regards to your new camera vs a point and shoot, you're getting the benefit of a larger sensor, so you're going to get better performance in low light and just overall better picture quality. Not sure if you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements yet, but try shooting in Raw format. It will give you a lot more leeway in adjusting your images - you can take an overexposed image and bring a lot of detail back into it, for example.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks a ton... I have been playing around with my camera and learning a bit.. I agree the pictures are not so great on auto focus or set modes... But right now I may have rely on it until I get some hands on experience. Thanks for taking the time to put it the instructions and the link. Much appreciated.